Sign in to follow this  
rthomp26

RJ-58 belt help

rthomp26

Im proud to say that my little kogled is running great now but I cant get her shifted into gear. I assume it's because the trans belt that was on it all the years it sat is either too short or long. I'm hoping someone can tell me what size to buy. Any additional advice is appreciated.

wallfish

1/2" wide x 29" long

The belt guard will help stop the belt from spinning when you push the clutch. If you have one, install it. The belt needs to be supported around the engine pulley so when the clutch is pushed, it doesn't ride into the groove.

rthomp26

Ok Thanks for the info. I'm gonna start by getting a new belt and go from there. I had the guard on there but it was giving me fits. The shaft from the engine wasn't centerring up in the hole very well. I'll get the new belt and try to tweak the guard and see how that goes. :woohoo:

wallfish

With the right belt you shouldn't have to tweak the guard at all. Don't bend it up or cut it in any way, they are getting very hard to come by. There should be a little room to move the motor around. What are you using for a motor?

rthomp26

Was just getting ready to get on here and sing praises that I got her driving! You stole my thunder a little with your last post though! :woohoo: I put the same belt I've had back on it, loosened the motor bolts up a little, and I'll be damned if the engine didn't slide back 1/8". Now room for the guard to go on, and the clutch does it's thing. Nice and smooth. Forward and backward. I'm using the original 4HP K-91. I'm really stoked right now. I've had this tractor for better than a year and drove it today for the first time. So now all I have to do is slide a new roll pin in the steering block and she'll be fully functional. next it'll be time for some sanding and paint! Thanks again for the help! Any other advice anyone would like to offer for the steps I'm to now on this project is truly appreciated.

wallfish

Glad to hear you got it all straightened out.

How was the first ride with that quick turning RJ steering?

rthomp26

It's funny you say that. The first thing I did after driving around the yard was jump back off and inspect the spindles and axle for damage! That baby does not turn on a dime to say the least. Thrilled to have it going just the same. Looking forward to getting it stripped back down now and ready for paint.