Sign in to follow this  
tiggercl

Wheel Horse Toughness

tiggercl

Chaps,

Which Wheel Horse tractors are renown for the their ruggedness? (transmission etc.)

Which models are best suited to a loader? (hydro.. ability to steer... balance..)

Cheers,

Paul

rmaynard

I think you will get a lot a different answers here, but for my 2 cents worth, I will go with the 1973 through 1977 series. The 8-speed, 8-pinion transmissions are hard to break.

I can't speak for the hydro's since I don't have any experience with them.

littleredrider

I don't have a lot of experience with 'horses, but I have an 854 that I picked up last year, and a 67 ranger year before. The fact that they are still in existence is an indicator of their toughness. And other than the new short block on the 854, they were both original.

My 854 looks like it has been thru WWII. The rear hubs were so worn I don't know how they didn't fall off. It has a plow with no trip springs, the frame is cracked my the tranny, dash tower is cracked and holding the gas tank on with 1 bolt, but it's still going!!!!!!

C-Series14

I will add to Bob's statement, the 1978-1979 C-Series also. I have several and one with a FEL and they are unstoppable!

kthack657

I have a range of horses from a lawn ranger to a D250 and I can say that my husbands Raider 12 is probably the toughest. We did redneck tree trimming with it...(tied branch to tractor and pulled the limbs down) :D

:woohoo:

rexman72

i would think the d series would be unstopable.

stevebo

IMO the best tractor for a loader made by Wheel Horse would be a D series since they are a hydro and much heavier than most others. They typically have or can find parts to add a factory 3 point hitch which is a must to add a weight box to the back for counterbalance. I owned a D (Auto18) with 3 point and loader and it was a nice set up but please keep in mind when you have a loader on a garden tractor make sure you expectations are in line with what you will get. They can pick up about 300-400lbs max and a bit difficult to steer without power steering.

The toughest (meaning very dependable and can withstand a lot of abuse) would be any of the Kohler K series single cylinder models with an 8 speed.

Good luck in finding varying opinions.

jay in nc

my opinion is any 12 or more hp c serries 8 speed for pushing or blowing snow in venango co. pa. but the last 25 years in johnston county nc. i love my bronco 14s w. sunstrand hydros, super strong and better than the eatons in the 516&51 and = with the eaton in the520s :woohoo:

TT

If I had the choice (read: money) I'd go for a 5xi series ~ specifically a 523Dxi, but I'd settle for a 522xi or 520Lxi. :woohoo: