Sign in to follow this  
vtpsd

310-8 diesel conversion added video

vtpsd

NICE JOB..ON MINE I PUT ANOTHER BATTERY ON THE OTHER SIDE. I HAVE BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH MINE. IT REPLACED A 17 H/P. AND HAS MORE POWER NOW.

I ALSO PUT A CRANE ON THE BACK THAT IS HANDY. RUSS :woohoo:

thanks Russ, your tractor was one of the ones that compelled me to do this. Unfortunately it is nowhere near as pretty as yours. Maybe some day. I think that I will need two batteries. The battery that was starting the gas engine just fine struggles with the diesel. If you forget to hit the decompressor, it cannot swing it over. It wouldnt be a true diesel without dual batteries anyhow :D

Someone asked where I got the exhaust tubing. I found it on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/1-5-Stainless-Steel-...g/dp/B0034JSBMI

vtpsd

well, i decided that I needed to have dual batteries in true diesel fashion. I bought two new lawn tractor batteries and now it cranks right over no problem. The decompressor is not needed as it was with just one battery. I think I will be happy I did this once winter rolls in.

kadetklapp

Did they both fit under the seat ok?

vtpsd

yep, one on each side resting right on the tank brackets. The posts are only about 1" from touching the under side of the fenders, so I need to get something between the two to protect them. The fenders are not very flexible, but I would hate to have something bend the fenders down and touch a positive post! Might result is a burned butt!

jdog_kustoms

i am getting ready to do a diesel conversion on a older c series i think but was wondering if you have pics on how you hooked up the throttle cable

vtpsd

I can take one. It was very simple. I Needed a bit more length on the actual cable portion and the diesel just uses a set screw to clamp down on a straight section of cable. I nipped off the bent end of the original cable, pulled it back a few inches inside the jacket, cut about an inch off the jacket and put it in place. I will snap a pic. The routing wasn't too pretty, but it works well.

Toejam

Nice job!

kadetklapp

In order to service/replace the batteries, would the entire seat pan have to be removed or can they slide out the rear?

vtpsd

they could slide out the rear, but it is easier to remove the whole seat pan. If needed, the tractor could be jumped from the input post to the starter.

Duff

Great work!

Where are you at, by the way?

Duff :thumbs2:

vtpsd

thanks!

I live in Starksboro VT. Up in the hills.

vtpsd

well, i found this good old 4000w generac generator head locally. I gave $200 for it, which I think is a good price IF it works. My plan is to mount it with 4 bolts right onto the plate that tensions the mower drive belt. That way I can use the existing belt tensioner to snug up the dual generator drive belts.

I can't see any reason why I cannot mount this thing sideways. I think this is going to be a very simple adaptation. I have grand plans to wire my house with a transfer switch and use this generator to power the necessities via a big 220v chord plugged into the wheel horse :thumbs2:

Up on the mountain, we loose power often, so this will be handy.

304736_796760568340_6901657_39394779_4858395_n.jpg