Sign in to follow this  
jay in nc

charger v8 & commando v8

jay in nc

i have a 69 charger v8 model#1-7841 bought at :D show in 04 all original but the exhaust stack, i also have a 69 commando v8 model # 1-4841 bought at s.e. old threshers reunion auction at denton nc. in 05. this tractor appears to be 100% unmolested stock but according to the toro web site this tractor should be a 3+r uni-drivetrans but it is a hydro identical to the charger v8 the only other differences are the commando has no provision for headlights & taillights but does have a cig lighter. strange huh! has anyone else run into this or did i attract another orphan-oddball? :woohoo:

Tgblanken

Sounds like someone dropped a hydro tranny in V8 Commando. The Commando should have the 3 speed or someone swapped the hoods.

Terry

jay in nc

the hoods are different but that is the only differnce, it was original paint & decals other than the model #. it doesent appear to be changed over. untill now! in the last 3 weekends i degreased it,removed the hood,fender&engine sanded and maskedthe chassis &commando v8 decals primed in the bare spots sprayed 3 coats of valspar i.h. red . then i made an addapter plate to install the new engine so i wouldnt have to drill any holes in the cast iron front frame section. the engine i installed is a briggs i.c. twin cyl. 16 hp. this past weekend i removed the stock muffler because it fit where the hood hinges, so i made stainless steel twice pipes with internal baffels look alot like harley pipes exiting under the floor boards in front of the r. tires very cool! then i started fitting a hood, the original hood was too nice to cut up but i had a very rusty hood of unknown vintage. i started by cutting a half moon cut for the intake manifold then i cut & bent the hood sides so the cooling shroud would clear. then i noticed the air intake only had a half in of clearence w. the hood closed , so i cut half of the louvers out of the old murrey hood & cot them into the :woohoo: hood then i sandblasted it till i ran out of sand. i wouldn't have gotten this far had the watkins glen race haden't been rained out. o well more on next post.