Sign in to follow this  
02sierra

electical issues update please help

02sierra

ok the battery charging isnt the problem. but i realized that i am gettin power to the coil and the solenoid at all times even when key is off is and even when the key switch is unplugged :woohoo: :D

rmaynard

I am assuming from your previous posts that the tractor might be a 1978 C-121. I also noticed that in a previous picture, the engine has an external resister. This indicates that the coil has been replaced with a non-standard external resister type, and that some rewiring has been done.

Here is the wiring diagram for a C-121. Trace the wiring on your tractor and make sure that everything is connected properly.

2a17e2ac.jpg

02sierra

is the solenoid self grounding or is there a wire

rmaynard

It depends on the type of solenoid that you have. The OEM solenoid was self-grounding. Some replacements have two input lugs, one for (+) and the other for ground. Should be marked.

As with all electrical trouble-shooting, start with basics.

Be sure that the (-) terminal of the battery is securely connected to ground. Then, since you have a "cradle" mount, be sure that the ground wires from the frame to the engine block are also properly secured. In other words, you must have a solid path from the (-) of the battery to the frame and on to the engine. Without a good ground, anything else that you try will be futile.