Sign in to follow this  
kw7475030509

My Suburban 400

kw7475030509

This is my new Suburban 400 (I think). It was my grandfathers. It's been sitting in a garage for the past thirty years. He passed away a few years ago and the family is now selling the old house so it had to go. I remembered cutting grass with it when I was little and decided I wanted to bring it back to life. These are cool little tractors.

It's in pretty good shape. It needs new front tires and I'm having trouble getting the engine to spark, but I'll get there. Any tips would be appreciated. :woohoo:

003-1.jpg

stevebo

Looks like a nice tractor and the fact it was your grandfathers makes it worth keeping it. I would take some sandpaper and clean the points and I will be it gets spark. Good luck with it and keep us updated on your progress.

Ken B

I'm with Steve, the fact that this was your Grandfathers tractor makes it priceless. I'd never sell it. It looks like he took real good care of it. It will be a real treat for you when you are able to fire that old girl up and take her for a spin! :woohoo:

jbumgarner

Great looking tractor. I would say your grandfather took good care of it and now its your turn. Good Luck.

:woohoo:

Coadster32

:D Nice tractor, and definatly worth keeping. :woohoo: (use 600 grit sandpaper, nothing corser for the points). Good luck.

CasualObserver

:woohoo: Definitely looks like a keeper. I'm a :D fan because of my grandfather too.

can whlvr

:woohoo: i too really like your tractor,goodluck,theres lots of help here if needed

mattd860

I hope my grandkids keep & appreciate all my wheel horses!!! (I'm only 28yrs old but I do have one 16mo son that gets a ride on a :woohoo: every day.

shorts

:woohoo: good looking tractor, definately a keeper.

kw7475030509

:banghead: She Runs! :banghead:

Sanded and gapped the points (Thanks Chris on the advice :D ), cleaned the carb and she started right up. The only problem is I broke the recoil trying to start it a few days ago. Not sure how to fix that, but I'll get to it. Anyways, I rode it around the neighborhood til my wife yelled at me, Hah! Definitely a cool little tractor. Can't wait to get the deck back on and ride it around the yard. Very satisfying to bring something like this back to life. I've never pulled an engine apart in my life so this website has been very helpful!

:thumbs2:

Keith

stevebo

Glad it is back running. The recoil is not too difficult to fix. Just remember how it came apart :thumbs2:

shorts

:banghead:

It's helpful if you put your location in your avatar or signature so local members know when to step up with parts and advice. I'm hoping that your close to me so I can come over and watch the coil spring in the recoil jump out at you when you take it apart thr first time :thumbs2:

kw7475030509

Hah! Too late. I already did that. Actually the coil spring is what broke. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do about that yet. :thumbs2: