Sign in to follow this  
CDLdrvr

520 HC Questions

CDLdrvr

Thanks for all the help determining what my machine actually is (88/89 520HC) it has a front mount carrier and I have looked everything up online and according to everything I have found my carrier is NOT modified in any way, but is not supposed to be compatible with a 520HC 88 or 89? The ONLY thing I have found is it is supposed to take a 103" belt on short frame tractors (too short) and 111" on long frame (too long), but I have found 107" works fine for me. This is not critical but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this?

Second and most important, I can not find the little plastic lens that goes over the idiot lights to tell what they are. Does anyone reproduce these? Does anyone have one?

I am assuming the one that blinks when power is on and goes out when started is oil pressure? The one to the left of it comes on after I have mowed for a while and continues to stay on after machine is shut down (with key on) so I am assuming it is temp, but no idea if it is motor or trans? The manual simply says what lights are there it does not say which is which so I need someone with a 520HC to give me a heads up. It is bottom row far left, to the left of the blinking light with key on.

Both oils are full, and fans are turning and unobstructed, any ideas what else could be causing this? I know it has been hot! but I usually wait until late evening to mow.

sorekiwi

I don't have an HC so I cant help you with the light layout. I do have a manual for the HC, but it doesn't show the detail for the idiot lights. If you don't already have the manual, you can PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

The blinking light that goes out as soon as the motor runs is probably oil pressure. That is how the one on my 520H works.

I agree that the other light will be a temp sensor, but there is probably one on the engine cylinder block and one on the transmission. Why don't you pull the wire off one of the sensors (with the motor cold) and touch it to ground to see which light comes on.

The "Hydro temp" light on my 520H comes on after about an hour of mowing at the present ambient temperatures. The transmission performance is not affected, but it is a little worry-some. I'll probably try running it on some synthetic oil to see if that will make a difference, but I realize that is really just a crutch to help a developing internal problem.

Have you changed the hydro oil and filter yet? With the state that the rest of the tractor was in when you got it, I would guess that the previous owner didn't do too much maintenance on it.

CDLdrvr

Thanks Mike, I downloaded the manuals and as you said nothing says which is which when it comes to the lights.

I am sorry to hear that your light comes on also but I have to say it makes me feel a little more at ease. Mine shows no changes in performance, but just the fear of the unknown is bothering me.

A complete change of the hydro fluid and filter is in the works now since I do not know when it was last done or if it has the proper oil in it. My nearest dealer is over 30 miles away and I don't get out that far much. It is on the agenda.

gwest_ca

You can see the light panel in the "Decals" at

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

Item #18 is for the 518-H and #19 is for the 520-H. You can x2 the page to blow it up.

The 523 page Demystification Guide page 3-38 shows the 113193 transmission temperature switch closes at 200 degrees. It also says normal operating temperature is 180 degrees.

Garry

gwest_ca

Thanks for all the help determining what my machine actually is (88/89 520HC) it has a front mount carrier and I have looked everything up online and according to everything I have found my carrier is NOT modified in any way, but is not supposed to be compatible with a 520HC 88 or 89? The ONLY thing I have found is it is supposed to take a 103" belt on short frame tractors (too short) and 111" on long frame (too long), but I have found 107" works fine for me. This is not critical but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this?

There is a product service bulletin #336A that lists the belt numbers/corrections but the 520 is not mentioned.

If you go to Parts Tree the 102742 (103") belt is listed for the short frame 45-1/2" WB tractors but that is a long frame tractor.

The 110138 (111") belt is listed for the long frame tractors with 52-1/2" WB but that is the large frame C-195 Twin models.

The only other belt listed is 109956 (102") used with a 42" SD deck and single cylinder engine on C and GT-Series.

Garry

CDLdrvr

Thanks, I never even thought to look under "decals", but alas on the ordering page it says N/A, part no longer available. Does anyone reproduce them?

If normal operating range is @180 then it is quite possible in this nasty sticky hot weather it is hitting 200 after an hour or so of heavy mowing.

Shuboxlover

The HC only had 1 idiot light....although I can't remember what it was, now that mine i gone :woohoo:

boovuc

The 1988 WH Decal for the 516-H and 520-HC, #114093, had one indicator light. It was for the Oil Pressure. From what I gathered, the 1989 "HC" had more indicators than the 1988 version.

Go to this link and zoom in on the #17 decal.

http://www.allmowerparts.com/pages/OemPart...-23R10074-00034

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Shuboxlover

I'm 95% sure mine was a 1989 and it only had the one indicator :woohoo:

SAM58

If I was to guess....

Hydro Temp.

Hourss.jpg

kpinnc

My 518-H oil pressure light (exact same place as the pic above) blinked for the first year I had it, running or just switched on. Like CDLdrvr, I did not have the "overlay" attached to the dash, so I wasn't sure what it was either. Of course, if there had been an actual oil pressure problem, I would have found out before now- considering how much I mowed with the thing.

The oil pressure sending units show up on Fleabay now and then, but usually sell for over $100 in most cases. My 518 is now about 75% finished on a restore, but I haven't been able to talk myself into that kind of money for one.

So I'm still looking for a less-expensive replacement...

Point being, if it is the oil pressure light, it may not be an actual low-pressure condition.

Kevin

Shuboxlover

I do remember mine blinking ALLLLL the time too :woohoo::D :ROTF: