Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Winter 07-08 Snow Removal Team

T-Mo

Yes, I would love a high resolution of that picture. You can email me one at terryreed2@aol.com....I will be highly appreciative.

kpinnc

I'm almost jealous. We never get any snow here of any significance, and the longest I've ever seen it stay when we have was a week or so. When it does, here in the south (kinda), the whole world grinds to a halt. No school or daycare for the kids, most business offices close, and for some stupid reason everybody buys all the milk and bread from the grocery stores. I really don't get it. Fellas, I'm only talking a light dusting , not a foot of the stuff or anything. Four years ago, I drove my little 4x4 Toyota Tacoma from here to Chicago and back. From the mountains of NC all the way to Chicago and back it snowed. You can really tell a difference in the people who drive in the stuff all the time (or those drivers who actually have some gray matter between thier ears), and the idiots down here who think the sky is falling.

Anyway, all this talk of getting the horses ready for winter chores kinda makes me wish I had a snowthrower, but I think I'd be wasting my money. Guess the extent of my winter chores is hitching up the leaf vaccum... <_<

Of course, I'll bet the thing could sure throw some gravel around when you get bored! :D

I'm tired and just thinking up stupid things to do with power tools!

Kevin

Rollerman

Kevin I have relatives near Winston Salem & remember going down a few times when id did snow or ice the roads over.

Totally differant driveing on those roads the are northern roads!

Us northerners prefer are roads flat for the most part....LOL

Down there in that area alteast things do sut down....but a little ice on those hilly roads,,,,,,guess I'll take the horse with the chains next time.

Stephen in northern IN

T-Mo

Now the cab, that's styling. If all works out this year with the snow removal equipment, a cab will be on the shopping list. Does it keep you warm in there, do the windows fog up easily?

Karl,

Speaking of cabs - have you saw this link?

5xi Snow Cabs

Wonder if it will fit your 400 series?

nylyon

Probably would, the picture os of a 400/500 series. Not sure I want to spend that kind of money on it.

T-Mo

Yeah, I hear ya. I can get a new plow for $545, but if I can find an used one, then I'd be more happy. (And I'm having a hard time justifying that price, though pretty good for a new one, to the wife.)

CasualObserver

Dale, is that your picture? That snow looks to be throwing quite a long ways!

Rollerman

I beleive Dale mentioned before they used his tractor in an advertisement without him knowing.

I think he has a pic posted on this site of that tractor shooting snow over a house!

Maybe some one more savy on this site than me can repost the pic?

I think it's time for Dale to come clean & post some more pics of his creations....from what I remember of his old site he is a heck of a fabricater.

Made his own 60" deck for his 416!

Stephen in northern IN

Buzz

Anyway, all this talk of getting the horses ready for winter chores kinda makes me wish I had a snowthrower, but I think I'd be wasting my money. Guess the extent of my winter chores is hitching up the leaf vaccum... <_<

Of course, I'll bet the thing could sure throw some gravel around when you get bored! :D

I'm tired and just thinking up stupid things to do with power tools!

Kevin

I remember reading a few years back on the Yahoo group that someone was using his snow thrower right after Christmas and got a little too close to the outside Christmas lights. :P Before he realized what was happening he yanked all of the lights off the bushes and off the roof. The sudden yank did wonders to his frozen stiff shigles. He said piece of shingles came down like rain and it took several hours to untangle the electric wires from the snow blower. Pretty sure dale remembers reading that.

As far as winter games, if you only get rain and no snow, dump a bottle of bubble bath in the deepest puddle, turn on the snow blower and have fun. Guaranteed the neighbors will never look at you the same way again. :(

kpinnc

Buzz, I'll bet that guy and I are related! :D

I like the trick with the bubble bath. I wonder if it can be done with a mower deck? :P

I was talking earlier about no need for a snowthrower. You guys have been talking snow and cold weather so much I thought for sure ol' man winter would come on down here...

But then it got up to 73 degrees today, supposed to be that way all week. Go figure!

Kevin

CasualObserver

Stephen, that picture of Dale's you're referring to I think is the repower engine at Small Engine Warehouse.

This one, I believe.... dale.jpg notice his snazzy wheel weights?!

Rollerman

You got me...wrong again.

Stephen in northern IN

Curmudgeon

Yup, the picture of the 520 was taken in front of my house.

Nope, don't remember the story about the christmas lights, but I do know a single stage snowthrower can pitch a softball sized stone a LONG ways!

You'll find some of my pictures, and the story behind them here: http://littlejoe.ejourney.com/~dgarver/Archives7

If things slow down this winter, I hope to get put a website back up.

Dale

nylyon

Just ordered up my chains. I think that it is interesting that the 23x9.50-12's are less expensive than the 23x8.50-12's.

Rollerman

Karl did you order through "tirechain.com"?, I looked around the link a little.

Atleast I know what a 2 link & a 4 link tire chain is now.

I here 2 & 4 link...I think suspension setups :D

I need to order a set or keep watching ebay for a set of 26x12x12 chains for the D 160.

Also need to look into a set of the "soft chains" for my dads 310-8....parents have a new concrete drive & my father doesn't want it scuffed up.

Anybody know what I'm talking about ( I don't know the technical name) or have any expeirence with them?

Stephen in northern IN

nylyon

Yep, ordered the 2-link 23x9.50-12 from tirechain.com, should probably get them on Tuesday. I didn't see any rubber chains on their site for tractors, perhaps you can find them somewhere else?

CasualObserver

Hey Stephen, I think you're looking for this?

Rubber Strap Tire Chains

jason

Rollerman

Jason thanks for the link.....I'm a sceptic if that would provide any more traction on ice covered concrete.....expensive too?

OKay I'm just cheap...LOL

Stephen in northern IN

CasualObserver

You're welcome, and I'm a bit skeptical as well... :D I can see how they would help in dirt by being more of a paddle-wheel type action as they dig in, but I don't think snow/ice and dirt are even comparisons? <_>

oh, and they are damn pricey!! :P

Curmudgeon

So basically for whatever they cost, the store seems to empty at this point, you can turn turf treads into a version of lug tread tires. Only the lugs are shorter, farther apart, and straight across.

Why not just get lugs?

Dale

Edit: Okay, DUH, the prices are right beside the sizes. Rubber straps or lug tires, about the same price. Seems obvious to me which would be better to have.