Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Side Vs Rear Discharge

71_Bronco

I tried to do a search, and didn't come up with anything on here.

This is a very straightforward topic.

Side Discharge vs Rear Discharge.

What do you use? Why? What are the pros & cons to each?

Thanks

rmaynard

If you want to use a Cyclone Rake and other leaf vacuums, a side discharge is a must.

However, a rear discharge allows you to mow in either direction without blowing grass onto the sidewalk, or into flowerbeds. You can also maneuver closer to non-movable objects such as trees.

tunahead72

I'm glad you asked this question, because I've been curious about this a while myself.

I've only ever used side dischargers, only because that's what my machines came with and I never thought about it much.

I see the advantages of the rear dischargers now that Bob mentioned them, but I wonder how much of the grass clippings you run over with the rear wheels, or is that not an issue at all? Does the grass discharge into windrows like a hayfield and need to be raked?

Hydro

I have had both. The advantange to rear discharge is your wife will never be upset because you dumped clippings in the flower bed. However the grass just lays where it's cut and the appearance is not clean. The cut is even, just not as clean in appearance.

The side discharge will windrow if the grass is long however each pass is cut and has a clean appearance.

The rear discharge will put more clippings in the rear axle of your tractor. They each have their advantages. I do not think you can get a 48" rear discharge, they are limited to 42" maximum. Depends what is most important to you.

squonk

I have both. I like the rear discharge the best as I have a lot of obstacles. If you have a sweeper you sweep as you mow. I wax the inside of the rear wheels so grass doesn't stick. And use an air hose or pressure washer to clean up the back. I have the mulcher insert for the 42". Will be trying it out on the leaves this year. :woohoo:

Wheel Horse Kid

I prefer rear discharge because your grass does not go everywhere and you do not have to re mow it all the time.

IthacaJeff

I had a 42" RD and currently run a 48" SD. If WH made a 48" RD I would be using

it. The SD has two huge disadvantages: (1) It propels debris like a shotgun. I've

got holes in my window screens from shooting things from 50' away (small rocks

in my new lawn that got pushed to the surface after winter). The screens

probably saved me some very expensive windows. I am now forced to mow in

certain directions to avoid shooting stuff, not to mention the care I must take

around the kids. (2) Maneuverability. WHs have a terrible turning radius, and the

problem is made worse by having only one side of the deck that you can get close

to objects with.

On the other hand, you can use the SD to windrow leaves.

Jeff in Enfield NY

71_Bronco

Right now I have a 42" Side Discharge.

I do not use any type of vacuum or sweeper, so those arguments are out.

I do like the idea of being able to mow in either direction and not have to worry about shooting clippings in a certain direction.

We are currently running a 60" side discharge on my dad's Kabota, and have had no issues. When I get my Bronco finished, I will be helping my brother mow as it takes him about 3 hours to do the lawn.

I will be using it for down by the road, as it is narrow and flat, and also in the back where it is flat and narrow as well. I will let him do the big wide open areas, and I will probably be doing around tree's & gardens, around the house, and the smaller flat areas.

can whlvr

the good thing about a side discharge is you can blow clippings and especially leaves off the grass which eliminates raking,or makes alot less,i sold my rear discharge,i didnt like at all,so goes to show you every one has different opinions,the rear was handy around the gardens,but its not for me

bigd

a geate excuse for another tractor :woohoo: both are handy depending on the circumstances and personal preference.

nylyon

Use both! I like the cut of the side better, but the rear is more convenient.

varosd

SD great for leaves in Fall and re running them over till theyare gone.evenwith sharp blades my RD doesnt always chop them up. also SD great for if you let your grass get a little too high and dont want to raise the blades.

RD great for narrow areas since there isnt a side chute to get caught up. my little 36 RD is just about the width of the tractor, so if the front wheelscan make it so can the rest of the deck. since most of the RD didnt have a recycle insert or gator blades, there will be clumps/thatch is you cut with the blade too low or grass to high

I guess the snow blade/snowthrower debate is the same pros/cons.

I agree..dedicated WH's for specific jobs!! :woohoo: now, just trying to convince the Frau!!

MikesRJ

I use a rear discharge more so because my original mower was a 42" mulcher, and many of the obstacles (read that wife's planters and garden boarders) are just a tad over 42" between.

Since the side discharge mower decks always have the chute extension hanging off one side, a 42" mower works out to be something like 48-50" wide.

Blowing the leaves, for me, is a non-desirable since I have a tow behind sweeper for that purpose. I use the rear discharge mower on leaves because it allows me to grind them up before sweeping them, which reduces my trips to the mulching pile out back.

TT

I use whatever one is under the tractor with the most gas in the tank. :woohoo:

71_Bronco

I use whatever one is under the tractor with the most gas in the tank. :woohoo:

LMAO, best post yet

njdpo

I have an ingersoll with the side discharge (also a bagger) and it works great - leaves the lawn looking like someone took a vacuum cleaner to it.

I recently picked up a Commando 800 with a badly rotted rear discharge and I must say - it is so much more manoeuvrable around all the trees in the yard. It does look untidy after the cutting is done though - thats ok Im not a fanatic about this type of thing. (Im currently trying to find out whats compatible with my commando - side ot rear)

What does bother me a bit is that the previous owner(s) probably have not washed down the commandos under side since it was new and the underside of the tractor has 40 years of clippings on it. As well as the insides of the rear wheels are badly junked up to the point where they probably need a sand blasting to refinish them properly...

Ive refinished the both fronts recently with white rustoleum - and the outsides of the rears ... But I still need to clean up the rear insides... It sounds as if that WAX idea might be the trick to keeping them clean...

Are we talking about CANDLE WAX in this case - or the stuff that is applied to automotive paint jobs ?

- Dave

Operator

I've got both too, my son likes the RD better for all the mentioned reasons he had my 48" but wants the 42" back. Me? my 60" is my favorite. :woohoo: you know what they say! "Bigger is better unless your talking women"

WD-40 the rear wheels to keep the clippings from sticking.

tunahead72

Im currently trying to find out whats compatible with my commando - side ot rear

Dave,

I just responded to one of your earlier threads. :woohoo:

Cole

i like the rear discharge because if you hit a stone (hope not) you wont brake a window. and you don't have to worry about dust blowing in your face, BUT you can avoid both of these by adding a mulching kit or plate.

hm12460

I use both. Currently have a 37" side discharge on my C-81 with a bagger, and the 36" rear discharge on my B-80. I also use a tow behind lawn vacum in the fall w/ the 37"sd to clean up leaves. I have considered buying a lawn sweeper to use with the rear discharge deck, but not sure how well they work. I have about 2 dozen tree's in my yard.

Dave85zxt

Does the rear discharge do better cutting tall grass? (i.e. is it lees prone to getting clogged up?) I have a 42 SD and I have to be careful not to load it up too much or it will clog and smoke the belt. I have been thinking about converting it to a rear discharge in my shop this winter so it can handle a heavier cut.

nylyon

When the grass is tall or wet, I will only use the RD deck.

Duff

Does the rear discharge do better cutting tall grass? (i.e. is it lees prone to getting clogged up?) I have a 42 SD and I have to be careful not to load it up too much or it will clog and smoke the belt. I have been thinking about converting it to a rear discharge in my shop this winter so it can handle a heavier cut.

Dave, I'm running a 37SD on a 312-8 and three times I've mowed a two acre field with the grass level with the hood (really!) of the tractor. It never clogged up once (grass was dry) nor did it smoke the belt. I'm running very sharp Gator blades. Mowing was in 2nd gear, low range, full deck height, taking 2/3 of the width of the deck per pass (I mow "NASCAR" style - always turning left so the clippings blow onto an already mowed area). Maybe I was just lucky? :banghead:

Duff :thumbs2:

Operator

Duff "Nascar style" :banghead: I like that :thumbs2:

sscotsman

A couple people have mentioned "windrow" in this thread..what does that mean?

I have never heard that word before..

thanks,

scot