Sign in to follow this  
bigben

Squeak

bigben

I have a 316-8, today I was cutting on a hill and nosed up to a shed, while I was shifting into reverse my w/h rolled forward and bumped the shed. it pushed the hood back an inch or so which bumped my throttle down.

I just pushed the hood back, bumped up the throttle and kept going.

Then I noticed that the sleeve that sits around the steering shaft was squeaking.

I can't figure out why it's doing that.

If I turn hard the sleeve turns about a 1/4.

It appears that the sleeve just sits there resting on the dash.

Has anyone else ever had a problem like this?

Any suggestions.

I already know what my wife is going to say.

" you sold a perfectly good tractor to buy a 20 year old tractor and your surprised your having trouble!"

CasualObserver

From what you describe it's probably just a squeak. A little graphite (also know as lock lubricant) sprayed in there should resolve it. I prefer graphite to WD-40 because technically it's dry. If you spray WD or any other form of liquid "squeak remedy" you open yourself up to getting dust and other debris caught and then your steering will start to get tighter as it builds up.

HorseFixer

I agree with Jason you need to use a lubricant that does not attract dust and dirt! :whistle: hmmmmm I thinking of just such a product :WRS: they make a product called dry slide that works well also. Make sure you dont have any binding arbitration around your steering shaft from the smack on the hood.

Duke

rustyoldjunk

im thinking the steering shaft comes up thru the dash and the dash and supports are all sheet metal on this series and the only column support is parts of the inner sheet metal of the dash tower and could fairly easily be tweaked.at least from what i have seen of the 2 hard used 312's i have,the column support is broke in both of them.depending on how hard you "bumped" the shed you may need to tweek your dash area foward just a hair to get your column back in aline.jim

bigben

I sprayed it and the noise is gone, but I think I'll try and push the dash forward a little also.

Thanks for your replies

Ben