Sign in to follow this  
kadetklapp

A couple of concerns on my GT-1800

kadetklapp

I'm a little concerned with the transmission on my Work Horse GT-1800. I've not gotten to drive it yet (waiting on a starter) and I've found that the transmission....disengage? lever is not really doing anything. It just flops around...

IMAG0474.jpg

IMAG0475.jpg

Is this normal? It doesn't not really stay in one position. The linkage appears to be hooked up, but it's very sloppy, and I can't tell if it's engaged or not engaged.

Secondly, I found the brake in this condition-

IMAG0476.jpg

It is VERY sloppy. It just flops around. Pushing the brake pedal seems not to do much as far as tightening it up on the drum. Is this an adjustment issue? I found what appears to be an adjuster on it.

I'm sort of paranoid the transaxle may be in trouble. When you rotate the wheels, you hear a "gravely" clinking around noise in the gearbox. I'm hoping it's not junked. :woohoo:

TT

Sounds to me like you could benefit greatly from a manual for your tractor.

I know there's one at http://www.mywheelhorse.com/ but for some reason I can't access the site right now.

If all else fails, I have the original paper copy of the one on that website.

The drive belt disengagement lever will rattle and drive you nuts, the brake can be adjusted but you really only need it when parking, and the clicking/ratcheting sound is normal on most models with the Eaton 1100.

Personally, I wouldn't get too concerned about the trivial stuff until you get it running and can test drive it.

I have an '83 and can probably help you with anything above and beyond what you can't decipher by reading the manual.

11511010.jpg

kadetklapp

You're right of course. Just getting the "cart before the HORSE" so to speak!

kpinnc

On my 518-H, I had the same problem. I used a plastic edge "strip" , similar to what comes on a new car's door edges to protect them. If you place a strip of it to both sides of the slot in DCL panel where the handle comes through, it does at least silence the noise.

The handle jumps all over the place as usual, but at least it's quiet.

Good luck!

312Hydro

On my 518-H, I had the same problem. I used a plastic edge "strip" , similar to what comes on a new car's door edges to protect them. If you place a strip of it to both sides of the slot in DCL panel where the handle comes through, it does at least silence the noise.

Good luck!

Great tip! Exactly my problem also. Thanks for the solution :woohoo:

kadetklapp

Good luck!

But it's normal? My problem is I don't know what position it's even supposed to be in. :woohoo:

kadetklapp

Also, would a suitable transaxle filter be a NAPA 1410 Hydraulic spin-on?

TT

My problem is I don't know what position it's even supposed to be in.

The "up" position disengages the tranz drive belt & "not up" engages the belt.

I only say "not up" because belt length/condition and a few other variables will influence the position when engaged. The lever might not go completely down to the cover plate, but as long as the drive belt is snug, it should be fine.

kadetklapp

Took the tractor for a cruise last night. Wow. The hydro is TOUCHY on this steed. In fact, so touchy, I've not even successfully found "neutral" as of yet. It creeps forward no matter where the lever is.

It pulls strong. The fluid level dropped after driving it (it had indicated high after refilling it, so I'm sure it's from working the fluid into the trans). The fan is very noisy, so noisy I thought something was wrong with it. I need to see if there is a bearing behind that fan I need to check.

The brake is a problem. When I go to mow my hill, the tractor gets away from me and starts "coasting" and the brake is basically inop. So that's on the list.

can whlvr

coasting is common on a hydro,on hills i have to adjust the lever,pull back going down,push forward going up

kadetklapp

coasting is common on a hydro,on hills i have to adjust the lever,pull back going down,push forward going up

I am just afraid I will damage the transaxle doing that. But you're right, it works. Tried it last night! :woohoo:

can whlvr

as long as you arent jamming it in reverse from a full forward speed,it wont hurt it,thats what they are built to do,once you get used to it you will like it,maybe,thats one complaint that guys have about hydros,they creep and get pushed when tilling,the gear trannys hold there speed much better.

kadetklapp

Yea, I sort of wish I had a manual trans, but this is a fun hydro once you get used to it. My John Deere was more predictable, but it was no fun to drive. All foot controls. This is kind of fun. Slow, but fun.

As an aside the oil is nice and clean after cycling some new off-brand 10w30 thru it. Before winter I will put synthetic in it since I plan to plow with it.