Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Belt Guard... To Use, Or Not To Use

71_Bronco

So I was talking to some family this past weekend about the deck I bought for my Bronco. I was told it would be a good idea to run the deck with the belt guard off. Some reasons they gave was that it collects clippings, and that the guard will hold in heat and make the belt over-heat.

These two points seem valid. What do you guys think / do?

Should I run the guard, or should I not?

Thanks

KyBlue

I don't have the gaurd on mine, but thats just because I'm too bloody lazy to put it on ... and too cheap to buy the nuts/bolts I need. :D :woohoo:

can whlvr

for me if anyone else is running the mower other than me,i would put it on for safty,ya ita a pain in the but ,but so would a damaged toe or foot,but i dont run all of them with covers because they didnt come with covers because someone took them off and lost them before i got them :woohoo:

71_Bronco

The 42" side discharge deck I bought came with a 1-piece cover for all the pulleys. It looks like the belt wore a little paint off the inside.

Some of the threaded studs are missing, but enough are there to securely hold the guard in place.

My dad doesn't run the guard on his 60" Kabota deck.

I was wondering if it would even be worth my time to prep and paint the guard, buy some nuts and bolts, and use it, or if my time would be better spent someplace else.

I probably will redo the cover, just so I can have it, but the real question is should I bolt it on or not

Kelly

I can tell you from the few hundered decks I've had most did not come with guards, so most people run them with out, but if young people will be using it I would use them, if just you it's your fault if you stick you foot in the belt.

rick

I keep 'em on my decks, in case someone other than I use the mower. As for the grass clippings, they just blow out when I blow off the whole machine after use. I will not cut the grass when wet, so the clippings etc. don't stick.