Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Striping Question... Need Some Opinions

71_Bronco

I am going to be restoring a 71 Bronco between this winter and next spring. I have already ordered the decal set from the guy in the Vendor section.

The only decal he doesnt have, is the set of stripes that go down the top of the hood. I measured the hood, where the paint was faded, and I have the measurements of the stripe widths, and spacing between them.

From what I can tell, the center stripe is suppose to be black, and the two outer ones are suppose to be white.

So I have 2 questions. First is, can anybody confirm if these colors are correct? I am going to have a local place make the set, so that isn't an issue, just need to know the coloring.

My second question is this. Should I do the stripes the solid color, or should I get creative? I was thinking about doing the black center strip, but having charcoal colored ghost flames in it, this way it makes it a little unique, but still follows the factory coloring.

What do you think guys?

312Hydro

It's your tractor,Do it the way you like! :woohoo: The flames sound good ,perhaps you could photo shop them to see if you like 'em.

TT

Either the top hood stripes were optional on the later 1971 models or they just decided to use them near the very end of production.

I do know that not all 1971 models had them, but it appears that most of the '72 models ("bigger" tractors, anyhow) did.

Look at the pictures in the second post of this topic:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2883

That tractor is 100% original and has the correct hood stripes. The center stripe appears to match the dark gray of the hoodside decals - which makes the most sense to me.

No one but you is capable of deciding what you want. :woohoo:

71_Bronco

TT, those stripes are the exact size and spacing that I have measured on my hood.

What I might do, if those are the correct colors, is to do black flames on the dark grey stripe.

And as to you guys making the decisions for me, I know it is my choice, but I wanted opinions. I kinda wanna do something a little different and unique, but I don't wanna go too radical with it. I thought a subtle striping thing would be cool.

shorts

just make sure that the flames don't end up looking like antlers :woohoo:

71_Bronco

just make sure that the flames don't end up looking like antlers :D

:woohoo:

Am I missing something???

mr.pipes

Deere antlers? :woohoo:

shorts

old bodyshop/paint joke, havent you ever seen a custom flame job that looked more like deer antlers than flames except for the colors :woohoo:

71_Bronco

old bodyshop/paint joke, havent you ever seen a custom flame job that looked more like deer antlers than flames except for the colors :woohoo:

Ah, yes, I know what you are talking about now. Sorry, I can be a little slow sometimes.

I was thinking maybe this color combo for the stripe / flames

ghost-flames.jpg

312Hydro

Looks good on the Cobra :woohoo: