Sign in to follow this  
rick

Another 48" deck question

rick

I am unable to raise my '93 48" deck to the highest cutting position. It looks like the deck leveling rod is locking it up. There is no problem with the lift raising the deck to the transport position, but the height adjustment won't move past the next to last hole. After reading the grease fitting thread, I pulled the lift bar over and used two washers between the bar and the hairpin clip. There was no more interference between the fitting and the lift bar. That didn't help with cutting height problem, though.

Anyone else heard about or experienced this problem?

rick

Thanks, tunahead, but that isn't the problem. I will have look at it closer. The handle wants to move, but there is a bind somewhere in the adjustment linkage. I'm fine with cutting in the #5 hole, but may in the future want another 1/2 " of height. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

TT

Try removing the deck from the tractor (if you haven't already) and blocking it up by the bottom edge so there's no pressure on the gauge wheel bar and mounting carriage.

If it still won't move to the highest setting, remove the trunnion on the leveler rod from where it attaches to the gauge wheel bar and try the highest setting again.

While the rod is unhooked, make sure the mounting carriage moves up and down freely.

rick

Thanks Terry, I will try that when I can get the tractor back in the shop.

Right now there is a Crown Vic Police Interceptor in there to be equipped.

Got to make some WH $!!!!

rick

Got it fixed, evidently I had snugged the adjustment on the lift arm clevis too much to get the deck snugged up to the floor boards. Left side is lower than right, I think PO had chains on loose and snagged the support rod. At least that is my deduction after looking at the chains I got with the tractor.

I removed the deck for maintenance, nothing was bent so I loosened the adjustment so I could get the adjustment in the highest cut and replaced the deck. I eased off on the lift adjustment, leveled the deck, and all is good!

Gotta love the way that Onan power makes the grass fly! P216G on Shell 100 octane low lead smells so good, and the exhaust outlet is light grey to white. Remember how our cars used to do that, guys?