Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

Storing an Engine

boovuc

I have a brother in law that used to work around Piper Aircraft and Lycoming engines in past years. He always spoke to me about "pickling" an engine when their airplanes were put in long storage.

I often thought about that with a small engine.

Three questions......

Did anyone "pickle" an engine they knew was going to be stored for a long time in different temps and changing humidities? If so, what did you do?

If you are going to "fire up" an engine that has sat for a very long time, is it better to shoot some lube into the spark plug hole before attempting the start?

Just Curiious!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

WH nut

If I know Im going to store mine for an extended period of time, like over a year, I run the carb out of gas then pull the plug wire and spay WD40 through the carb while cranklng. Then to restart I spray WD40 in the carb crank then hook the plug wire up and away she goes

Anglo Traction

In addition to WH Nut's recommendations, On Single Cylinder Engine long storage, it helps to set the engine with the piston at TDC on the firing stroke. This closes the Valves and rests the springs.

A shot of Redex, Oil or upper cylinder lubricant through the Spark Plug hole helps to keep the rings and valves/seat free, but sealed.

Tape up the Breather vent, Exhaust and Carb. It all minimises atmospheric moisture absorbtion into the Crankcase with Temp changes where it can't get back out.

Just have to leave a Note stuck on the Engine to remind you to remove the covered bits when it is brought out of storage.

shorts

drain the gas tank, run the carb out of gas, spray storage seal in the carb while runing the carb dry, change the oil, set it on or just after TDC as previously stated, install a new sparkplug for easy startup.

Storage seal is available as an aerosol from your local outboard motor dealer

Duff

Storage seal is available as an aerosol from your local outboard motor dealer

...also known as fogging spray. Any reputable marine service shop should have the stuff on the shelf. Directions are on the can. Real easy to use and well worth it!

~Duff :woohoo:

boovuc

Thanks, guys!

Good stuff to know.

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA