Sign in to follow this  
snowhound

1987 - 418-8

snowhound

I recently picked up a 1987 418-8 with a electric lift that the previous owner did some "rewiring" on does anyone have a wiring diagram.

thanks

Ed (Snowhound)

rmaynard

I have searched the archives for 418-8 (31-18K801) manuals and have been unsuccessful. Toro does not list them as available either. :woohoo:

Hopefully a 418-8 owner will chime in with a manual or diagram that they can send you.

tunahead72

Ed,

I have an operator's manual for the 1987 300 & 400 series tractors, I'll send you a PM later this evening with the wiring diagram for your 418-8.

snowhound

Thanks for the replies, here is the latest:

When I turn on the key the voltage meter does not move stays on 0, I checked the leads and no power is getting to the meter. On the switch there is one terminal that is always live and one that becomes live when the key is turned to on but looses power when the key is turned to start.

The safety switch wiring is a mess, the seat switch has been removed and the wires connected together, the PTO switch has been disconnected and one wire removed from the connector. I did try connecting the two wires but it didn't do anything..

Ed

tunahead72

Ed,

PM sent.

--------

Judging from Mike's post, it looks like somebody else is having similar problems, probably worth following along with that one. Just be aware, the manual that he linked in that thread is NOT the one for your machine -- it's for the 1986 models, yours is an '87, correct?

I'm pretty much worthless when it comes to reading wiring diagrams and troubleshooting electrical problems, so I'll leave that work to others more knowledgeable than me. But I don't believe the fact that your seat switch is missing and the wires jumpered is going to cause you any starting problems. It is dangerous, however, because you can actually get off the machine while the engine is running and the mower is engaged. :woohoo: I would fix that soon.

Good luck!

smitty316

I'm still leaning towards the ignition switch because of the limited movement of the key. It doesn't move past the On position to Start where it should spring back to On. It's just On or off.

The battery wire from the ignition is disconnected and replaced with the starter button. I'm going to try getting it running and touch the battery wire from the ignition to the solenoid and see if the volt meter and lights will work.

If you see smoke rising from Washington, Mo. it might be me.

Smitty

tunahead72

I'm still leaning towards the ignition switch because of the limited movement of the key. It doesn't move past the On position to Start where it should spring back to On. It's just On or off.

The battery wire from the ignition is disconnected and replaced with the starter button. I'm going to try getting it running and touch the battery wire from the ignition to the solenoid and see if the volt meter and lights will work.

If you see smoke rising from Washington, Mo. it might be me.

Smitty

Smitty,

I may be confused (it happens :woohoo: ), but did you mean to post this in your own thread, the one that Mike linked last night?

tunahead72

Better electrical manual by far. Try this one on for size.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...er/trpdemys.pdf

Starting on page 431 or there about.

Again, I may be confused (twice in one day <_< ), but I don't see the 418-8 in that guide. It is a good source for troubleshooting advice, I'll be looking at it myself pretty soon. :woohoo:

--------

Ed (snowhound),

Check your messages, if yours is indeed a 1987 model, I do have the correct operator's manual, with the right wiring diagram.

MikesRJ

TunaHead, you're confused.

Actually the 414/416-8's (87-88) are wired the same as the 418-8's (87).

Check section 7-87 for the wiring.

Starts on PDF page 431.

tunahead72

Actually the 414/416-8's (87-88) are wired the same as the 418-8's (87).

Check section 7-87 for the wiring.

Starts on PDF page 431.

There's something wrong here....

According to Toro, the '87 418-8, and the '87 and '88 414-8 and 416-8, are all covered by the 810473R1 operator's manual (the one I referred to earlier, already sent to snowhound). That manual has separate wiring diagrams for the three models. The 416-8 and the 418-8 seem to be very similar, but not identical; the 414-8 is a different beast. The 414-8 has a dual circuit charging system, with a separate circuit for operating the headlights (no fuse, engine has to be running). The 416-8 and 418-8 light circuit is powered by the battery (15 amp fuse, lights will operate when ignition switch is in Run position).

I don't know why the demystification guide shows the same diagram for the 414-8 and 416-8 (it looks like the 416-8 to me). But I do know there are cases where others believe the guide is just wrong, maybe this is one of them? :woohoo:

By the way, I don't see a circuit for the electric lift on the 418-8 in any of these diagrams, there's supposed to be a (separate?) 25 amp fuse.

MikesRJ

The two machines use identical wiring harnesses.

snowhound

Thanks to all that replied, I have received a manual that has the wiring diagram and hope to get some time soon to post some photos and do some checking and repairing.

:woohoo:

Ed (snowhound)

snowhound

So far I have found two wires coming off the battery side of the solenoid. One going to a fuse and the other, which is cut in two, seems to be going to what I believe is the battery terminal on the ignition switch. It looks like there may have been a fuse and it was cut out. A couple of the wires on the ignition switch have new connectors on them and two terminals were bent so the wire connectors were touching. I think I am going to have to make a diagram and label the wires so I can disconnect all of them and then trace the wires to insure I connect them to the correct terminal. With only a couple of hours a week available to work on it it will be a while before I get it done.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the electric lift?

I can start the engine by jumping the solenoid, it sounds so good.

Ed (Snowhound)