Sign in to follow this  
Save Old Iron

Getting "Tanked up"

Save Old Iron

Don't you hate it when this happens. You're out mowing the grass on your C195, sucking down gas like no tomorrow and having a great time, then chug chug chug

Out of gas. Darn it, Didn't look in the gas tank. Now you have to jump in the car and head out to the fill station.

Whoa. Looks like you're not the only one having some problems.

gascan1.png

Sorry, no time for that nonsense - serious tractor business at home.

Plus, she looks like higher maintenance than an Onan with 1000 hours on it.

Well the good folks at SOI University have been busy with some research on how to have you completely avoid this scenario.

Float Switches.

Yep, these little babies can save a whole lot of walk time back to the barn when you're out in the back 40.

floatswitch.jpg

A float switch mounted in the gas tank can be a great mod for those of us in the busy world of tractor restoration.

Drilling an appropriate sized hole in the bottom of the tank and mounting the float in an accessible area starts off the mod.

WHgastankfloat001reduced.jpg

some closer shots

WHgastankfloat003reduced.jpg

WHgastankfloat007-1.jpg

and finally, a pic of the float in the tank as viewed thru the neck of the tank.

WHgastankfloat011-1.jpg

Tune in later for some hookup diagrams for wiring, wiring layout proposals and an explanation of how the float switches work. Maybe a pic or two of the protective shroud for the float wires which being turned down on the lathe as we speak.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

smoreau

I have used those before when I worked at a Heat treating plant as a maintenance tech. They are magnetic reed switches and if the float is on upside down it will work in the other way, or not at all. so make sure its on right. Nice idea and I had a similar set up on my old jd and it worked great.

Save Old Iron

Scott,

did the older JD come with one or did you put it on ?

smoreau

Scott,

did the older JD come with one or did you put it on ?

It was a 83 jd 160 and it was factory. When I looked in the tank when it was empty there was a similar float setup, but it was black and smaller. It had a light on the dash that would turn on when the tank was low and for that I never did run out of gas. This would work well on our :D tractors with a automotive indicator light on the dash as many of us would like a bigger fuel tank. In the winter I am up to a 1/2 mile away from my gas can at any one time and has been a long cold walk when it runs out. :woohoo: I am putting together a loader tractor and I think I will put this in that one for sure.

312Hydro

Subscribed to an interesting thread! :woohoo:

DrabHorse

That's a good idea. I like that it is small and not some big bulky thing, fits very well with the size and scale of a garden tractor. Do you have to somehow hold it in the tank when you tighten it down, or did it get tight enough just snugging it up.

Save Old Iron

Just a quick additional update with some theory on how the float switch works.

gastankfloatwiring.png

A pair of miniaturized contacts are sealed inside a small glass tube and then placed within the "stem" of the float switch assembly.

The switch contacts are magnetic and will be closed when the magnet located in the float body approaches the switch contacts.

As the fuel is used up within the fuel tank, the level of fuel drops along with the float part of the switch assembly. When the float drops far enough to allow the switch contacts to be drawn together, an electrical pathway is completed in the float switch body.

Typically, the switch contacts can handle up to 1 amp of current (please check the spec sheet you receive with the switch for the maximum current allowed thru the switch).

A simple wiring scheme as seen in the above diagram can be used to light a "LOW FUEL" warning lite and prevent a long cold trek back to home during those wintery plowing sessions.

Save Old Iron

Do you have to somehow hold it in the tank when you tighten it down, or did it get tight enough just snugging it up.

Mounting is quite the easy task.

Drill an appropriately sized hole in the bottom of your tank, slide the wiring down thu the neck of the tank and out the hole in the bottom of the tank.

Pull the wiring thru the hole until the bottom threaded section of the float finds it way thru the drilled hole.

Run the locking nut and sealing o'ring down the wiring and snug up the nut / o'ring onto the threaded float switch stem.

Just that easy

I used a Viton (fuel resistant) rubber o'ring on both the inside and the outside fuel tank surfaces.

If you need any help - let me know.

Float switches are all over ebay for a few dollars each.

DrabHorse

I would consider running the ground side through the float switch.

Save Old Iron

I would consider running the ground side through the float switch.

Yes, better idea for sure.

That way if any wiring gets grounded after the indicator lamp, the lamp will absorb all the voltage, not the switch - good catch - thanks.

I'll correct the drawing.