Sign in to follow this  
phattdaddy1963

pulley removal

phattdaddy1963

Does anyone have any experience removing a pulley from a mower-deck.

The pulley is not keyed...but is stuck.

I have tried a puller...just deformed the pulley.

Mower-deck diagram does not show a keyed pulley.

model #78350 s/n 6900623.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

boovuc

I think a lot of the guys here have experianced what you are going through. It doesn't have to have a key to get "stuck". I did with a pulley on a 42" rear discharge this spring. Those pulleys will gauld themselves to the shaft. I tried PB Blaster for days. Hit it with a hammer and heated hit then repeated the sequence for a week. I tried a puller too and yea, it deformed it. I wound up cutting it off and getting a used pulley from a Redsquare member to replace it.

Try all the tricks above for awhile if you can go without the deck. Otherwise, cut it off and get a new one. They are available.

Good Luck!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Forest Road

I think a lot of the guys here have experianced what you are going through. It doesn't have to have a key to get "stuck". I did with a pulley on a 42" rear discharge this spring. Those pulleys will gauld themselves to the shaft. I tried PB Blaster for days. Hit it with a hammer and heated hit then repeated the sequence for a week. I tried a puller too and yea, it deformed it. I wound up cutting it off and getting a used pulley from a Redsquare member to replace it.

Try all the tricks above for awhile if you can go without the deck. Otherwise, cut it off and get a new one. They are available.

Good Luck!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

I'll second that. I figured a new pulley was better than a warped deck, result of beating the pulley. A 4-1/2" grinder with a metal cutter worked great. Keep in mind my spindle was shot.