Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

My Yard & The Fight With Quack Grass

HorseFixer

A few years back my Yard was looking pretty good It was mostly shaded but with shade come leafs <_< and when you have a pond that is no good. The other thing is picking up all those leafs in the fall is a bunch of work and I

Gerry w

Wow Duke, looks like a great yard till someone dropped a big rock in the middle of it!! :woohoo::D

Do you have a back yard too or is it all front yard? I like the pic with the horses lined up.

Gerry

Shuboxlover

It sucks, but most of the time the best solution is to kill it all and start over. There are chemicals out there that control different types of grass/weeds that won't hurt your turf (my buddy works for Monsanto) but most of the time it's cheaper just to kill and start over...those chemicals are EXPENSIVE :D :woohoo:

Butch

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and look at Crabgrass killers. Some of those killers also kill quack grass. It may stress your good grass but it will come back. You may have to give it a 2nd treatment a week to 10 days later.

Butch

Our backyard. This is from seed and not sod. I mow with a Snapper Hi-Vac. The Wheel Horse can't maneuver in this small area.

Backyard06150805.jpg

shorts

I'm as red as red can be, :woohoo: forever and all but when it comes to help with the turf grass and chemicals find your local John Deere Landscape dealer and pay a visit, they supply the lawncare/landscape companys and bought out Lesco chemical/fertilizer a couple of years ago, anyhow they have professional horticulture people on the counter and can help you out with how,what,when to solve your lawn problems and probably at less cost than the big box stores. My neighbor's father in law was in the landscape maintainence buisiness fot 25 years and turned me on to them, I don't get any preferential treatment or discounts but they have always been helpful and priced right even with their retail prices.

Gerry w

Our backyard. This is from seed and not sod. I mow with a Snapper Hi-Vac. The Wheel Horse can't maneuver in this small area.

Backyard06150805.jpg

Wow, that's really nice! And a lot of work! :woohoo:

When Kathy and I were living in CA they would get grubs under the grass that would kill it, the only thing they would do is rent one of those sod removers and get rid of the top layer of dirt/grass/grubs. And then re-sod, in a week your back in the green!

HorseFixer

Wow Duke, looks like a great yard till someone dropped a big rock in the middle of it!! :D:D

Do you have a back yard too or is it all front yard? I like the pic with the horses lined up.

Gerry

Good stuff here! :woohoo: Gerry you wouldnt want to see my back yard the whole thing looks like the bare spot in the picture. Thats why I need a tiller cause I plan On tilling under this fall and seeding it. I think I will install phase 2 of the sprinkler system back there. :D One thing at a time..... :D

Butch that really looks nice! :D I had it pictured like that in my minds eYe from the description you had given me. I can see the Dukester and MJ lounging by the pool while you serve the Capt'n Morgan fanning us and feeding us STEAK & LOBSTER! :ROTF:

I will ck out the places you guys suggested. :P

Cheers ~Duke

:P

shorts

duke, I've got your tiller, can bring it to the charlotte show.

HorseFixer

My pics got deleted So's here are some more! :dunno:

DSCN3882.jpg

DSCN3883.jpg

DSCN3890.jpg

AMC RULES

That's a good lookin' set up you got there Duke. :dunno:

6wheeler

That is a nice looking yard. Look at all your neighbors leaves just waiting for the chance to move into your place :eek: . I gave up the fight to get rid of weeds in the lawn. With several hundred acres of fields and pasture and woods around me, I could keep the herbicide companies financially healthy for quite a while :angry-nono: . Oh well. But, on the up side of that. It got very dry here last fall, and while the neighbors manicured lawns turned brown. My healthy" quack/crabgrass/creeping charlie/dandilion/weeds that I don't think even have names yet" yard stayed green :woohoo: . And, as far as the leaves go? Well, if god don't like em' He can move em'.

AMC RULES

Yep I saw that too, having diverse species of grass is what kept my yard green all year long too. I have to keep telling myself to leave it alone. Sure paid off this past August, when I had the only green lawn in the neighborhood.

specialwheelhorse

Golly guys enjoy having any kind of grass. After sixty some days in the triple digets this summer and no rain

we're lucky if we have grass or trees or anything else growing this spring.

Jim in north texas