Sign in to follow this  
c175inMA

Hydro filter removal

c175inMA

Hi all. I was changing the oil in my C175's transmission for the first time and i can't get the filter off :woohoo: My filter remover was too small so i tried using a ratchet strap and got it to move a little bit. Can any one tell me what is the easiest way to remove the filter without using a filter remover? Also which way am i supposed to turn the filter to remove it. :D in advance. Paul

Butch

Turn it to the left, counter clockwise. I have different size sockets that let you use ratchets to remove filters of different sizes. I've even punctured a filter with a screwdriver to get it off. Of course it's messy doing it this way.

SAM58

Also, a very large set of Channel lock pliers will do, I have a set of Klein about 16" long, It will dent the filter but you are taking it off anyway.... :D

Lefty Lucy, Righty Tighty. :woohoo:

shorts

on filters that don't get changed frequently , I try to loosen the filter before removing the drainplug, if the filter is stubborn, start the engine and then carefully loosen the filter while their is internal oil pressure on the filter/oring to help relieve the tension, just loosen the filter so that staret to move, don't remove it until the engine is turned off.

Shuboxlover

I've even punctured a filter with a screwdriver to get it off. Of course it's messy doing it this way.

Done this more than once :D :woohoo:

rexman72

yes sometimes it hard to get in there and get that filter off.i think you can buy the cover that you put the rachet chuck in for about 5 bucks.

wheeledhorseman

I use a chain wrench that fits on a 1/2 inch square drive ratchet - it's never failed to get even the most stubborn filter off though in the worst cases the filter case will begin to crush before the wrench does its job.

The real advantage of it is that using an extension with the ratchet even filters in almost inaccessible places can be budged.