Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

lawn de thatcher

JUSS10

so i am going to be picking up a disc and brinley cultivator in a few days, the guy also has a de thatcher that he told me i could have for $10. i know one of the wheels are broken which isn't a huge deal. just wondering if they are worth having. can they be used for anything other than de thatching? or maybe i could build something from it and use the tines? anyway, here is a picture of it, would like some input as i know its probably a good deal, just dont need more junk around the barn.

IMG-20110622-00075.jpg

Lane Ranger

I can tell you that they help a lot when your lawn is older and appears to have

matted grass. I like the ones that have teh aerator and dethaching tines on them. Saves time.

They really help restore the vitality to the lawn and grass growth,

I place on small anvil for weight on mine when using it.

:hide:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

It may help with wet leaves in the fall.

sorekiwi

I have a row of pine trees that leave a thick layer of needles under them. Any grass within about 40 feet of them really struggles, even after I started sweeping the needles up several times a year.

This year I threw together a dethatcher from hay rake spring tines, and really dealt a number on the affected area. I was amazed at how much crap it kept digging out of the grass, and the grass does seem to be growing a lot better this year. Of course this may be down to the fact that there seems to be a torrential downpour every 6 hours or so for the last few months.

I am thinking that the tines on mine are a lot too stiff, and tend to tear into the lawn a bit, I think a store bought dethatcher (with its longer and thinner tines)would probably work better on a normal lawn - on my property I dont worry too much about the digging in, and the stiffer tines will dig up sticks and pine cones that I didnt even know were there.

Having said all that, I have never used a proper retail dethatcher so I cant really compare.

For $10 I'd grab it and try it!

I used mine last year to help renovate my lawn. It worked well pulling up all the dead thatch but you have to make frequent stops manually unload the tines. It roughs up the soil nicely as well for overseading. For $10, it's worth a shot. I picked up the same one at a garage sale for $10. For anyone down south, I think it's worth it to help keep the fungus down. Wherever I've had a lot of thatch, I've coincidently had brown patch show up in my lawn. :woohoo:

JUSS10

i ended up passing on it, when i got there to get the other stuff i looked at it and it was only about 2 feet wide. it was very small and cheap looking. I may keep my eyes out for future use but it wasn't something i needed. thanks for answering the questions though!

Justin

Coadster32

Definatly will help, especially if you mulch cut. :woohoo: