Sign in to follow this  
albion

C165 8-speed transmission problem

albion

Hello, friends. This one is for my brother - hopefully I'll be able to get him to join here.

His tractor is a C165 type 01-16K8-91, obviously with 8-speed transmission. The 16hp Kohler gave up the ghost some time ago, so he re-engined using a Citroen 2CV unit which works really well...

The odd part is that the transmission has always been stuck in high ratio - even before the engine change.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be the problem before we tear it apart? It will give us a clue what to look for when we get it in surgery, the idea being that we can procure the parts and do the fix in one go.

Thanks, team!

Albion.

rmaynard

You should have a 103916 transmission.

Are you saying that you can't get the high/low shifter to move? Or does it move but no change in range?

hermetic

Hi , I am albions brother, lever will not move at all, was always stiff according to previous owner, and is now solid

rmaynard

Sounds like you are going to have to open it up and see what's going on. There is a spring-loaded 1/4" ball that goes into a couple of detents to hold it in place when shifting from high to low. Could be that water in the tranny has rusted it.