Sign in to follow this  
mrc

grader blade questions

mrc

hello all, sometime back i asked the question if grader blades had cutting edges. the response was, no. i recently purchased a 50 inch grader blade. i mic'd the blade and its pretty thick @ .275 my thought would be to fab a cutting edge from a piece of flat stock. 50 inches long by 2 inches high by 5/16" or 3/8" thick. i would bolt this on so the bottom inch hangs below the grader blade. my question is would this interfere with the normal grader blade function?? also i'm under the impression these are NLA from toro?? if NLA, what did they use to retail for? thank you. mike in mass.

Butch

I think I paid around $250 from Toro about 6 years ago.

WheelHorseSteve

So from experience I can say that most of the blade engages the gravel, etc... having a cutting edge would be nice but you're generally not running the grader on a hard surface (like asphalt)... it's scraping the dirt, gravel, etc.. This is unlike the dozer blade which will scrape your asphalt driveway when plowing snow.

smoreau

So from experience I can say that most of the blade engages the gravel, etc... having a cutting edge would be nice but you're generally not running the grader on a hard surface (like asphalt)... it's scraping the dirt, gravel, etc.. This is unlike the dozer blade which will scrape your asphalt driveway when plowing snow.

I agree, My 50" grader blade has a lot of use this year and I just took it off the 417 yesterday and the edge has very little ware on it. Plus if it gets warn down too far you bust have to unbolt the blade and flip it. Don't plan on waring out that blade for a long time.

Forest Road

My blade was new when I got it. I've probably got 10 miles on it in our gravel road. It shows visually no wear. My local metal shop said they could roll a new one for about $100.

On another note. I wish the WH snow plows were built that well.