Sign in to follow this  
kirby

5085 transmission

kirby

# 5085 transmission. is there an actual drain plug on this transmission, or do i drain it in the same spot as i would fill it. sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

Lane Ranger

Jeremy: There should be an allen head plug underneath the transmission to the right of the fill plug.

It is the plug used to drain out the gear oil in the manual transmssion.

:hide:

stevasaurus

Kirby...like Lane said...the drain is pretty much right below the fill plug on the back left of the trans. Be sure to clean out the allen wrench hole good so as not to strip it out. It should come out fairly easy. Are you getting ready to open the trans??

kirby

well, today i checked the fluid and it was a little brown milky looking. so i'm assuming water got in it. so i was going to drain it and then find out what people on here thought i should do from there. Is the a good way to make sure all the waters out before i refill it with gear oil or whats your opinion on that. by the way i checked the fluid a few months ago during winter and it wasn't that way so the water hasnt been in the long. thank on advance for any help

stevasaurus

If you are not going to split the trans, and you are sure it is OK, you can fill it with kerosene and run it a little bit and drain...repeat until clean...may be twice...then fill with 90wt and change again in the fall...depending how much you use the tractor. :hide: A lot of the members do it this way, and they seem to be OK. :WRS:

Lane Ranger

Make sure the rubber boot is good and not torn or cracked. That will keep out the water pretty well.

:hide:

kirby

you've been right about everything else steve, so let me ask you this. you said 90wt, do you mean straight 90wt or like 90w140. i think the book calls for 90w140 but im not 100% sure. Also do you recommend a certain brand of gear oil. thank for the help guys ( lane and steve) This forum has been amazing in helping me with a new found hobby. My 3 yr old loves tractors and he loves his daddy's wheel horse.

stevasaurus

Jeremy...thanks for the thanks. :) I know Lane, myself, and lots of the members are here to help. I think you are right about the 90W140. I do not use any special kind, usually what I find at TSC or my favorite auto parts. Actually, my dad had a bunch of it sitting around and I have been using that...even mixing it together. :WRS: Knock on wood...have not had a problem yet...and I do keep an eye on the transmissions. Should take about 1 1/2 qts. :hide: