Sign in to follow this  
dmoore

Carb butterfly screws

dmoore

Cutting a lil grass the other day...shut the tractor off to get a drink...came back and it would not start..just crank....fuel to carb & fire to plug...hmmmm just happen to bump the throttle shaft to governor linkage and it popped up....found out the two screws that hold the butterfly to the throttle shaft had come loose.....one got sucked up into the combustion chamber(no damage)and the other was laying in behind the intake valve stem undamaged. I recently rebuilt the carb & distinctly remember tightening these screws. Should I have replaced them instead? I am thinking they were originally some type of locking screw thread that will not back out......Dave

rmaynard

When originally installed at the factory, they were peened on the end to keep them from doing what happened to you.

When you re-install them this time, put some gasoline resistant thread lock (red I think) on them.

dmoore

Right you are Bob! It would be hard to peen them over once installed.....wonder how they did it at the factory? D

rmaynard

Right you are Bob! It would be hard to peen them over once installed.....wonder how they did it at the factory? D

Special tool I suppose. :hide:

wooley12

I used a pair of vice grips to squish the ends. One side on the screw head, other on the thread end. Soft brass so they deform easily.

VinsRJ

Red Lock-Tite and never look back.... Never get them out again either.

dmoore

I have purchased a few things from Brian because he knows what works & what doesn't...my local shop just gives me a blank stare when I start talking about throttle shaft bushings & performance jetting.......D

Duff

I have purchased a few things from Brian because he knows what works & what doesn't...my local shop just gives me a blank stare when I start talking about throttle shaft bushings & performance jetting.......D

...and if you have the money, Brian's carb rebuuilds are a thing of beauty indeed! I saved up my change for several months then sent two carbs off to him for complete reworking. The result is two engines that run better than anything I've ever owned!

~Duff

dmoore

When I restored my C-101 15 years ago I swapped out the original Kohler carb for a Walboro...I can't remember why I did but I did.....I will be sending that original Kohler to Brian soon for a complete rebuild.

dmoore

I used a pair of vice grips to squish the ends. One side on the screw head, other on the thread end. Soft brass so they deform easily.

And how do you get the vise grips anywhere near the screws once the shaft & throttle plate are installed?? :hide:

wooley12

As I recall, and I couldn't swear by it, I rotated the plate to horizontal. The factory repair manual says to use Loctite.

shorts

use needlenose visegrips to pein the brass screws, you only have to upset the threads a little bit to keep the screws from backing out. If you use red locktite it can be softened up with a propane torch to remove the screws if future repair is necessary.