Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

Mowing Speed

sgtsampay

Hello all. Here is a stupid question about mowing, but I have to ask it. What gear is the best to mow in?

I have been using the 2 high gear so far this year, but I feel it kidna slow compared to the third gear. I haven't tried 3rd gear yet though, as I have been told that 3rd is to fast for the deck and it will cut poorly. Is this because my tractor doesn't have enough HP like the zero turns or or is it the mower deck made to mow at that speed? thanks all.

shorts

try 3 hi, its the only way to find out for sure. Their a lot of variables when cutting grass, you need to maximize all of them to get a good job, what type of grass, how thick, how tall, what kind and how many obsticales? are your blades sharp, side or rear discharge,bagger attachment, hills, ditches, flat ground, finished front yard or back forty where finish isn't as important?

@ things for sure, keep the blades sharp and the engine rpm up so the grass blades get cut off cleanly then adjust your ground speed for optimum safe control and speed :WRS:

I'll never forget the neighbor cutting in high and finding a small stump with the mower deck, he stoped after breaking the belts and driving over the deck. :) I had to go inside after I knew he was ok :disgust::hide::beer: :hide:

tunahead72

Bobby,

I'm no expert on this, but I'm with Paul (shorts), try 3rd high and see how it does on your lawn, it's the only way to know for sure.

I personally use 3rd low for about 3/4 of my mowing, 1st high for most of the rest, and 1st and 2nd low for the really tight spaces. But my yard is bumpy and has lots of obstacles, and the lawn is poor quality. The only time I ever use 2nd and 3rd high is on the road in front of my house, where I'm trying to get back to my yard before the speeding car gets to me. :)

I did manage to see what my 310-8 would do in all gears when I was testing my transmission earlier this spring, and personally I can't even imagine trying to mow my yard in 3rd high. But if you get good results, by all means go for it. :hide: Like Paul said, sharp blades and full throttle are crucial.

And as much as I love my Horses, a good zero turn will literally mow circles around them. I'm fortunate enough to be able to use a Scag 61" mower every once in a while to mow the fields at one of my local soccer clubs, and that sucker just flat flies! I don't think it's so much the raw horsepower as the incredibly high blade tip speed that makes the difference, others can certainly tell you more about the theory.

I'll never forget the neighbor cutting in high and finding a small stump with the mower deck, he stoped after breaking the belts and driving over the deck. :) I had to go inside after I knew he was ok :disgust::hide::beer::WRS:

Dude ran over his deck?!? WOW!

varosd

Oh if only there was a gear that was between 2 and 3rd (high) gear...one (2nd) is just a little too slow but the other (3rd) is way too fast to cut grass. The beer keeps spilling if I use 3rd gear!! :hide:

shorts

:hide: whiskey might have had something to do with it :WRS: :)

Lane Ranger

The older I get the slower I mow.

All my mowers seem to cut better in first gear and I get more seat time on the tractor!

:hide:

IthacaJeff

2 high is my normal mowing speed with my 416 and 48" deck. Yep, it seems slow,

and is. I've started cutting with 3 high just to get the 2 ac mowed faster. I've got

a fairly flat yard with no bumps, and about 1 ac is treeless. My grass is less than

one year old, so it is a bit sparse and 3 high can cut it okay when nice 'n dry. It

just mowed today half in 2 high and half in 3 high and no question the 3 high left

uncut grass because the grass was high and had a bit of rain part way through

the mow.

I mow in 1 high or 2/3 low when brush-hogging.

Jeff in Enfield NY

c175inMA

Try using a hydro :WRS::) :hide:

Duff

Bobby, I run in 2-hi with a 37" SD deck on a 312-8, about 90% throttle. I keep my blades very sharp (Gators). I've tried 3-hi a few times but the ride is too bouncy on my lawns and the cut suffers. Also beats the hell out of my mower's mounting brackets.

Just another man's experience!

Duff :hide:

can whlvr

i use my 308 with the honda 13hp transplant,it spins faster than a kohler so it goes faster too,i have raced my kohlers and the honda is faster,its perfect for mowing,the 160auto is really good too