Sign in to follow this  
kwj427

1962 702 or 1963 753

kwj427

hi guys,

how can you tell the difference bewteen these two models?

thanks kenny :hide:

JUSS10

i would look at the front axle. 62 model should have a narrower axle with a piece of flat stock connecting the spindles and a single tie rod to the steering shaft. 63 should have a wider front axle with angled spindles and a tie rod to each spindle from the steering shaft.

Justin

littleredrider

The 63 will turn tighter than the 62....

Kelly

I know pictures will help, I will add some later, but this might give you an idea what to look for.

Guide to dating your round hood

First we are not going to cover the RJ or suburban mid engine tractors, or the lawn rangers, also the 603 and 701, I will cover the rangers, 603 and 701 at a later date, this is also just a guide to tell what year you have not the model, figuring out what model will take a bit more detective work, after you have the year of the tractor, I will be covering the 62, 63 and 64 model years, I will start at the bottom and work up.

TIRES/WHEELS, all three years used the same rear wheels, the fronts there was 3 styles of wheels but all interchange, the lip on one rim sticks straight out, another the lip folds down towards the center of the rim, also some have no holes in the center part others have one yet others have two. Wheels are easily changed and I have found all these types on all different years, so no dating by the wheels.

TRANSMISSION, I will not get into the guts of the trans so going by eye only, all three years look the same, but note the shifter on the 62 and early 63 models only have one bend in them. sometime in early 63 they put a second bend in them to clear the add on HY hyd. Pump, all 64

Horse'n Around

Thanks for posting this Kelly. I remember you mentioning that you were in the process of putting something like this together in the post where a member posted a pic of a Roundhood perched way up on a pole as a sign in front of a business and asked what year it was. There is so much great and detailed info packed into it :hide:

John