Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

1054 prospect with transmission issue

JUSS10

one other thing i forgot to mention, it appears as though it has an oil bath air cleaner on it. i will pull the grill out ad get better pictures tonight. if things go well i hope to get the trans pulled and the shifter back in. hoping that there isn't to much water that made its way into the transmission. then I'll start looking into the motor. everything looks fine but i want to check the oil and maybe pull the carb. I'll also pull the tank while i have the trans out and make sure thats all cleaned up. very excited to get it up and running but want to take my time to make sure i do things right.

Justin

stevasaurus

That is one fine looking horse you got there, and with all the goodies, I think you did very well. :hide: Is there a serial number on the blade you have??

JUSS10

BD-546 i believe. appears to be correct for the year. i looked at a manual and it appears the only major piece missing is the connecting rod between the bottom of the lever and the plow. besides that is missing the pivot bolt, and a few rods that hold the springs and plow together. nothing huge. I'll go out and get some rod and make those, i could probably even make the connecting rod that adjusts the plow angle. the levers on the rear axle mount are missing as well, but i have two other tractors that have that mount and only plan to use one at a time so I'll probably snag those for this tractor

JUSS10

a little update: spent the last 5 hours in the barn working on the tractor. got the transmission and gas tank dropped. as was assumed the shifter had just popped out of the transmission, tightened the screw tight then back off a quarter turn and locked it.... then it broke of, so got out the dremel, cut a slot, backed it out, found a bolt, took it to the grinder and made a little nub then set it again, all good! wish i didn't drop the tank, it was spotless inside and a bit of a pain to re install on my own. not really sure what wheel horse was thinking when they made this tractor, it was a love hate relationship forming while working on it. anyway, got it all buttoned back up then looked towards the motor. turned it over by hand a few times, felt good, cranked a few times (quite a few, being the lines were dry and tank in the back) started to sputter and then finally fired. idles great. put it in gear and she moves! brought up the throttle a little and the hydraulics work great (and very fast too!) there is a fair bit of pitting on the cylinder (was stored in the "up" position so the stroke was all the way out and exposed) hope that doesn't cause any leaks, time will tell. at that point it was 11 and i needed to get cleaned up and off to bed. hope to take it for a spin tomorrow. need to get a battery for it too. then on to the mower deck, would like to try and mow the yard with this weekend and give that a try!

so quick question, in my absence of taking note, which side of the shifter does the rear lift cable go on, left or right (as you sit on the tractor) or does it matter? thanks

Justin

Martin

not sure about the cable as mine was missing, im sure lane would know. as far as getting the fuel up to the carb do you have one of these levers on your fuel pump? maybe not all do but its a primer.

CIMG0771.jpg

JUSS10

hmm checked my 1054 this morning, dont have the priming lever but no worries. should only have to crank it that much the first time as there is fuel in the lines now. Going to try and take it for a spin around the yard tonight. the cables need some cleaning and lubing. I'm contemplating getting the pressure washer out with some engine degreaser to clean the tractor up. lots of years of neglect are apparent.

stevasaurus

That all sounds great Justin. It is a testament to Wheel Horse that these machines can just sit out side for years neglected, and with a little attention they start right up and are ready to go. :hide: :WRS:

JUSS10

thanks! I'm excited to get it out today. anyone know the battery this is suppose to use? or any 10hp starter generator motor should use? I'll attach a picture of the battery that was in it, can someone let me know if i get another with the same rating I'll be ok? thanks

Justin

stevasaurus

Give your Toro dealer a call, they will look up tell you which battery you need. :hide:

JUSS10

my toro dealer is less than helpful on these older tractors. if you don't come in with a part number of what you need, they can't seem to find it.....

this is the battery that was in there

IMAG0073.jpg

stevasaurus

Justin...after what you said about your Toro dealer, I took the liberty and called mine. Told him you have a 1964 model #1054 with a 10hp Kohler with starter generator. He told me it takes a #2712 which is superseded by a #104-2493 battery. Might want to sit down for the price he gave me...$107.99. :WRS: My dealer is usually on the high side, sure you can match it up some where else. Hope that helps. :hide: :)

JUSS10

Why thank you! that is very kind of you to do that for me. :hide:

after reading your post i pulled the battery out of my 854 (garden tractor battery from TSC) has 360 CCA and the 1054 fired right up and i think its charging (volt meter says so) not sure what the generator light on the dash is suppose to do. sometimes it turns on when i shut the engine off, other times its on when i turn the key but shuts off once the engine starts. is it a warning light? anyway, that battery fits and seems to work just fine, and i think it was $35 at TSC, much more pocket friendly

hydraulics work like a champ too! now i just need to figure out how to adjust the clutch/brake so it slips a little and doesn't take right off!

Kelly

To help with the grabby belt, clean the pulleys they probably have rust in the sheaves, and causing the belt to grab to fast.

JUSS10

I'd say you are probably right on about that kelly. I'll stick a wire wheel in the drill and run the pulley grooves. thanks!

Indy w h

If your little red light on the dash comes on that means it's not charging. But it will come on at a low idle Just bump up the idle a little

Indy

stevasaurus

Along with what Indy said...the generator light should come on when you first turn the key...tells you it is not burned out...once the engine is running, it should go out...tells you it is charging. :hide:

JUSS10

perfect! then everything on the tractor seems to be in tip top shape. one last question (for now) on these big block motors, do you check the oil level the same way as you do on the small blocks (7 and 8hp) where you remove the dip stick, wipe it off, set it on the ledge of the hole in the block then make your reading? if so i need to add some oil (I'll probably drain it all and put fresh oil in, it has been sitting for 5 years) thanks!

Martin

perfect! then everything on the tractor seems to be in tip top shape. one last question (for now) on these big block motors, do you check the oil level the same way as you do on the small blocks (7 and 8hp) where you remove the dip stick, wipe it off, set it on the ledge of the hole in the block then make your reading? if so i need to add some oil (I'll probably drain it all and put fresh oil in, it has been sitting for 5 years) thanks!

in the kohler manual it states:

"on engines with threaded type dipstick, shoulder plug on top of hole to observe level"

so i guess everything with that style dipstick would be the same.

just in case youre not sure about the drain plug, its on the bottom of the pan close to one of the corners, right next to the frame rail. if the tractors real dirty under there you might have to search for it.