Sign in to follow this  
rydogg

new to me groundsmaster 52

rydogg

I mow about 3 acres with a lot of trees and obstacles so I picked up this mower that will go around a fence post or tree with ease, I looked at a few other zero turns but I didn't want the ones with the 2 levers for steering so I opted for this one so I always have a hand free for my favorite beverage :hide: . Does anyone know how to time these cast iron 16hp briggs motors it is hard starting and I have broke off 2 starters so I believe the timing is off otherwise it mows great even at high speeds. I have a backup motor that runs great that I can drop in but would rather fix the one that's in it if possible.

wheelhorse075.jpg

wheelhorse077-1.jpg

wheelhorse076.jpg

corn53

Dunno the answer but that is a cool looking tractor!!! :hide:

jdog_kustoms

i had a john deere set up like that the front mount style i really like to mow with it but i hatted the tractor bigggest pos i think i need to design a wheel horse like that one lol

bigd

i've had several of those briggs engines when i had the problem you are describing its always been the key in the flywheel.check that before you tear into the engine.

rydogg

jdog, I think I know of the JD you are talking about they were an F series they made 700 series which were the bigger ones and the 500 series which were much smaller and only had a single rear wheel. I am currently trying to locate a deck shell for a F725 if you know where I can find one I would appreciate it, they used a very small mower blade spindle compared to the groundsmaster so if you his something hard it would twist the deck pretty easily.

As far as checking the flywheel key it would be easier to remove the whole motor since the flywheel is surrounded by the gas tank, seat, etc. The PO claimed that this motor was rebuilt about 2 years ago so I don't want to run it too much and cause more damage but it mows the yard so well and so fast that I will probably use it one more time before tearing into it. I purchased a new starter from ebay for $31 and free shipping my local shop wanted $120 is there really that big of quality difference or is it just a dealer markup?

TT

Model number?

Check the flywheel key first, but......

Can you tell if it has been converted from points to Magnetron ignition?

If it had points and was converted to Magnetron, the flywheel magnet "phasing" (direction of the N-S poles) is backwards and the flywheel will need sent to B&S to be corrected. (unless you can find a local shop that can do it)

b-80boz

I used to mow with those at some golf courses I worked at back in the day they are great mowers I would love to have one.. :hide:

rydogg

Got my $32 with free shipping starter from ebay and put it in and this thing spins right over and starts right up I guess my used starters were just no good. I wish my yard wasn't so bumpy cause so far I am unable to bog this thing down I think I could mow my yard even quicker but the deck bounces so much I get a lot of choppy looking spots so I need to slow down.

IthacaJeff

Back in my college days I worked for the local town mowing parks. It is where I got

introduced to WHs, but when we got in one of those Toro out front mowers life

changed! Mowed like nobody's business, but unstable (i.e., fun for a college kid).

I would mow anything anywhere, and kept getting the sucker stuck in the mud. Very

had to pull out. . . my boss kept having to bring out another tractor to pull it out.

He wasn't happy!

Jef in Enfield NY