Sign in to follow this  
312Hydro

The Road to Redemption

312Hydro

Thanks John for the compliment! I see you were an AZ trooper. My nephew is a trooper here in Pa. I never was in the body work profession. Everything I know I learned by reading and doing. I painted 3 pickups years ago and really haven't done anything till this. That DeVibiss is a good gun. My first gun was a Binks No.7. I don't think you would have any problem using the HVLP. I really like the lack of over spray when you get it adjusted right. The real test will be how it works on the hood and fender pan.I'm hoping to shoot them sometime soon. If it looks half as smooth as Chris' puller I'll be happy. Did you color sand that Chris? I did start assembling the chassis and transmission. I look at the first pics I put up and wonder why I let it get that way. I'll post some more pics tomorrow. You guys from the forum deserve a :woohoo: for showing me the way!

chris11

I did wet sand the hood and fender, Rich thats coming out great. When you get it all back together you should be proud of your accomelishment.The tractor i built was from parts.I got the 8 speed from Sparky, The rear fender and hood stand and foot pegs i got from Docwheelhorse. There is a semi gloss black that we use at my shop,would be perfict for your hood front. made by SEM trim paint in a spray can nice paint.

312Hydro

Thanks Chris on the black paint tip. I need to find who sells it it my area. here's some pics of the progress so far:WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011052.jpg

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011051.jpgI want to set up the chassis and start on the wheels and tower next. Gonna find me some paint!

After looking at a few pics on the forum,I may have to change my hitch pin. I think with the tires on it may not come out.WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011050.jpg

Actonhorse

That is looking amazing Rich. As for the hitch pin, I have the same one in mine and it does fit, you just have to put it past the tire to the inside of the rim to get it in and out.

Keep up the good work. :woohoo:

massey

Looking good. Now comes the best part, assembly. :woohoo:

HorseFixer

Rich looks good! :D Great Idea on the green house paint booth I really like it :woohoo: Do you have an air vent entering the booth and if so is there an intake filter? :ROTF: Keep up the good work.

Cheers ~Duke

:D

chris11

Rich thats coming out sweet. I have been looking every day. Like a good movie. :woohoo:

312Hydro

That is looking amazing Rich. As for the hitch pin, I have the same one in mine and it does fit, you just have to put it past the tire to the inside of the rim to get it in and out.

Keep up the good work. :D

Thanks,Dean. Glad to know that the pin will work. I like the coated handle and picked it up at Tractor Supply. How bout sending me some Labatts Blue, I really like it but it only tastes great when you drink it in Canada! It doesn't taste the same here. :woohoo:

312Hydro

Looking good. Now comes the best part, assembly. :woohoo:

I'm starting to like putting it back together. All that shiny stuff makes me want to get it done faster! :D

312Hydro

Rich looks good! :ROTF: Great Idea on the green house paint booth I really like it :woohoo: Do you have an air vent entering the booth and if so is there an intake filter? :D Keep up the good work.

Cheers ~Duke

:P

Thanks ,Duke! Someday I want a snow machine when I grow up! iIf you look in the last picture above,you can just see 1 of the furnace filters that I use. The other is on the opposite wall. I didn't mount them too high as I kept the exhaust fan low to create a down draft effect.That way it wouldn't pick up dirt on the floor and pull it across the pieces getting painted. The filters have flaps on the outside that cover them in case it rains. Same with the fan. You're right about the greenhouse effect, If it's 80 out I can count on it being at least 20 degrees hotter without the fan. I can;t paint after 10 am or before about 8 if the temps are high. The parts do get hot! :D

312Hydro

Rich thats coming out sweet. I have been looking every day. Like a good movie. :woohoo:

Thanks Chris! Glad you're enjoying the show! :D I'll bet it would look neat in 3-D :P We could all get glasses and watch our :ROTF: jump out from the screen! :D

312Hydro

Well thought I'd post an update with some pics of course. I ( actually my two sons) finally got the tranny and frame moved into the garage. Spent yesterday doing a few errands and cleaning out the garage to make room for assembly. WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011055.jpgStarted by putting the two together. used some stainless bolts that I had and thread locker on the bolts for piece of mind.

Then assembled the front axle and started on the rear axles.WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011060.jpg

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011062.jpgCleaned up the shafts with some 150 strip paper and used a Dremel with a drum sander on the inside of the hubs.

Also cleaned up the woodruff key and put never seize on the parts as I assembled them. Slid on like butter!

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011063.jpg

Started on the wheels by removing the bearings,had 1 bad . In process of sand blasting them and painting. I'm going to let out the air and unseat the beads so I can paint them better. That's a tip I picked up from reading the forums! :D That's it for now, "tune in for the rest of the story! Good Day!" I always liked Paul Harvey :woohoo:

btrrg1969

I have been watching this thread and enjoy the progress your making. Looks like the Wheel Horse gods are going to forgive you. :woohoo:

312Hydro

I have been watching this thread and enjoy the progress your making. Looks like the Wheel Horse gods are going to forgive you. :woohoo:

Just what I wanted to hear ,Brandon! Forgiveness is good! :ROTF: Glad you like the thread! :D

condo630

Lookin' good! Can't wait till it's back together!

312Hydro

Lookin' good! Can't wait till it's back together!

Thanks,me too! Thanks for ride in your wrecker! I really like your you tube vid. The truck sounded sweet going thru the gears. :woohoo:

condo630

Thanks,me too! Thanks for ride in your wrecker! I really like your you tube vid. The truck sounded sweet going thru the gears. whtractor/thumbsup.gif

Ten-four! Glad you like it, it's my friend's wrecker. I'd like an antique truck, but right now the only thing I have room for is a :woohoo:

312Hydro

Hey all! Gonna be a busy day today. Need to make a new tie rod,get sand for blasting,and some other things that I'll only remember only after I've returned home :D

Spent yesterday painting the wheels .

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011068.jpg

Used nylon rope between the bead and tire so I could do a nice job painting. I didn't have hose or tubing as was suggested in a post I read so I improvised.

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011069.jpg

Here's a shot with the tires finally mounted. I was going to go the stud lug nut route that I saw in a recent post. Looked great but I just reused the :woohoo: bolts for now.Maybe later.

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011071.jpg

Alright folks,gotta get moving and beat the Saturday crowds at HD and TSC! :ROTF:

hm12460

Looking good! You're doing an excellent job.

312Hydro

Looking good! You're doing an excellent job.

Thanks Harold !

312Hydro

Just wanted to check in,been pretty busy lately. Had a few problems to solve,some not quite the way I intended. :woohoo: I finally got the rock shaft out of the control tower! Of course I needed the help of my friend Pete,his torches and a 20 ton press.WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011094.jpg It would never have come out without them. As it was, the key on the shaft seized up and split the rock shaft about a 3rd of the way.

It also crushed 1 of the bushings coming out. I was able to get another one today at my local :ROTF: dealer. I couldn't believe he had one on the shelf! Thanks,(shameless plug) Smith's Suburban! Also picked up a new fuel shut off for the tank and new rod ends for a new tie rod I need to make.NAPA had replacements with the proper thread length,part # 7-04231 about $6.35 ea. Most of the black parts are primed and painted. The control tower(upper and lower) both needed welded because of stress cracks in the corners.WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011102.jpg

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011101.jpg

Tomorrow,should be painting the control tower and starting to assemble the parts. I only have a couple of pieces left to sand blast and paint. My wife tells me how grateful she is to spend time at the beach with all the sand in the driveway! I told her "no problem,but there is no ocean view"! Won't print her response :D I'm contemplating the construction of a "GRASS-O-METER" to gauge the height of our yard. A little longer and I think I can look for a miniature baler for the :D after we mow our field.... er yard :P My yard stands out as a model of "green living" as it has the tallest green in the neighborhood . I'm hoping to apply for the ethanol subsidy before it runs out! Well, I'll be posting some better pictures as soon as the parts start going back on. Does anyone think I can have this together by Saturday?

condo630

I'm hoping to apply for the ethanol subsidy before it runs out!
:woohoo:

Are you doing any engine work?

Saturday doesn't seem out of the question.

312Hydro

I'm hoping to apply for the ethanol subsidy before it runs out!

Are you doing any engine work?

Saturday doesn't seem out of the question.

Just freshening it up. It needs cleaned and I was going to sand blast and paint the cooling fins. Taking care to mask anything delicate and any open holes.

71_Bronco

All I can say is :woohoo:

I am going to be going through a similar process with the 71 Bronco I bought. I started tear down last night, and I too took lots of pictures for re-assembly. Mine won't go nearly as fast as yours though.

Lots of good tips here, and I will be sure to steal a few when it comes time to do the painting / preping.

Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see it when you are done!!!

jbumgarner

Great job so far. I am new to WH, so I really enjoyed reading the thread. I think it reads better than many books. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the finished product.