Sign in to follow this  
312Hydro

The Road to Redemption

312Hydro

Wow that is going to be one clean room, a woman could have a baby in there..maybe you should market portable paint booths. I want a cut . :hide:

You could be my "Maine" distributor! :WRS: If you want clean paintwork, ya got a start clean! Now if my painting skills are good enough ,it will be worth it.

312Hydro

Wish you were closer, id have you paint my hood in your paint room!

You can use it as long as it's up. Maybe I could get you to bring one of those nice looking 520H's that I always see in your locale!

312Hydro

Here's some pics of the parts getting primed. The exhaust fan worked great and the primer went on smooth. The last pic shows the pinhole filler going on. Should have skipped the primer and dipped them in the filler! :hide:

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011001.jpg

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011004.jpg

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011008.jpg

I'm not too happy with the filler. It seems to set much too quickly. I've been cutting down the recommended hardener. I'll be sanding next but not in the booth.

farmer

Crikey Rich, you said this was going to be a part per week job :offtopic: ,looks like an all out Blitz to me :beer: . Lavishing all this love on your :) after so many years of........well........lets just say......lack of attention :hide: makes me think you believe in Karma. :) Love your spray booth btw, neighbours will think CSI have turned up :hide: Just me kidding....pay no attention.

I do worry for your :disgust: though, its "first" mow after time off is gonna be a biggy! Great job your doing. :WRS:

312Hydro
Crikey Rich, you said this was going to be a part per week job :WRS: ,looks like an all out Blitz to me :hide: . Lavishing all this love on your

chris11

The parts add up fast dont they? Its looking great, just start sanding, before you know it it will be done cant wait to see it. Keep going Rich............

Zeek

here is what i started with:

100_0066.jpg

Little elbow grease and you will have it looking great!

My wife doesnt understand why I want to get another one already.

Ahhh NOW you have my attention with the unused weight bench and the Busch Light :woohoo:

The simple addition of props in the back ground can go a looooong way :D

312Hydro

The parts add up fast dont they? Its looking great, just start sanding, before you know it it will be done cant wait to see it. Keep going Rich............

Those parts do add up! Now if I can start putting them back together ,I'll start getting excited too :D Thanks for the encouragement :woohoo:

312Hydro

here is what i started with:

100_0066.jpg

Little elbow grease and you will have it looking great!

My wife doesnt understand why I want to get another one already.

Ahhh NOW you have my attention with the unused weight bench and the Busch Light :woohoo:

The simple addition of props in the back ground can go a looooong way :D

It's funny but sometimes those objects in the background can be like an "I Spy" book :D . I just saw the engine sitting by the Busch Light! I never noticed it til now :ROTF:

Working on the sheet metal today. Getting it smooth for paint. Won't be long now before some red goes on! Will have some pics later. I've got to clean up the tranny to get it ready for paint. What's the best way,sandblast? I'd like to find a paint product that would just prep the old paint to accept the new.

shorts

degrease the trans axle with plenty of hot soapy water, pressure washer if available then wipe down with prep sol, pre paint cleaner or see if their is a chemical sanding product available, Used to be before the EPA got as active as they now are

312Hydro

degrease the trans axle with plenty of hot soapy water, pressure washer if available then wipe down with prep sol, pre paint cleaner or see if their is a chemical sanding product available, Used to be before the EPA got as active as they now are

Thanks shorts! That's the info I was looking for. Would you remove the pump? If yes,do I need new gaskets for it?

312Hydro

A few more pics from the build.

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011013.jpg

Had my son put the tranny on horses so I could work on it. I removed both hubs. Right side kicked my butt. Fought me, the puller and some heat before finally coming off. I had to crank in some pressure with the puller and had to "ring it " with a hammer to get the vibration to move it.

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011023.jpg

Started wet sanding the sheet metal . I put a guide coat so I could find any pinholes or imperfections before the final primer coat. Worked real well. Even though it originally looked smooth ,sanding the guide coat with 400 grit wet really showed the imperfections.

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011024.jpg

That's pretty much it for now. Filled the trouble spots with some nitrostan that I had. Next will be the final prep before paint some time this week.

312Hydro

Just an update. I ran into a small problem,actually two. The first is the rockshaft in the control tower. I can't get it to slide off the shaft. I heated it, put WD40 on it and it just won't move. I've decided to just leave it in and work around it. I also have a problem with the red paint that I hadn't thought of til now. I have every red part on the tractor primed and ready to go. Looking around at all the parts, I'm not sure if 1 quart will make it. Even with the HVLP gun. Any one shoot a whole tractor on 1 quart? I checked into getting at least another quart and it wouldn't be here until next Friday if I'm lucky. I think I have a solution though. I thought about painting everything but the parts that would be seen like the hood ,fender pan, side metal . When the other paint arrives I could shoot these and really not worry about a color match. I've got to get things moving,the grass is getting taller by the day and I've already had it mowed by some one else twice.That wasn't in the original plans :D . I even thought about getting it together so I could mow once and then paint the sheet metal. oh well.

Almost forgot, You gotta love this forum! I was wondering what black to use on the hood and parts. I just did a search and was able to find a recent post suggesting Rustoleum Satin Black. Tried it on the seat bracket and it looks great! :woohoo:

C-Series14

Use PB Blaster or Kroil...WD40 is not gonna do much.

ol550

I was wondering what black to use on the hood and parts.

I have used Omni gloss black in the past and had them make it 20% flat. Mike

chris11

Rich , the 312 i just sold all the tin work looked to be a shade darker then the frame i wouldnt worry about the match ,body to chassis. That one was nver painted before. I like watching your progress. :woohoo:

312Hydro

Use PB Blaster or Kroil...WD40 is not gonna do much.

Thanks,I'll try them. :woohoo:

312Hydro

I was wondering what black to use on the hood and parts.

I have used Omni gloss black in the past and had them make it 20% flat. Mike

Who sells Omni Paint? I'm not familiar with that brand. :woohoo: Mike!

312Hydro

Rich , the 312 i just sold all the tin work looked to be a shade darker then the frame i wouldnt worry about the match ,body to chassis. That one was nver painted before. I like watching your progress. :woohoo:

Thanks for telling me about that. I feel a little better knowing the factory puts them together like that. Still, I'm used to everything matching. I guess it's the auto background creeping in. I'm used to seeing those really nice cars and the tractors here too, that you all have done. :ROTF: Appreciate your watching the thread and your input. :D

312Hydro

Posting some pics and a paint update. Kelly's rotisserie had me thinking. I don't have an engine stand yet, but I did have a come a long and some 2x4s.

Using my Boy Scout knowledge from long ago, I lashed together a tripod and used it to sand blast and prime the tranny. I actually dug out my old Scout book :D I couldn't remember how to lash! :ROTF:

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011015.jpg

My son took the tranny into the paint booth and it was "Go Time"! Here's a shot of everything wiped down and ready.WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011029.jpg

If you notice ,some of the parts are already red. I realized that I could cheat. I had a can of red spray paint so I painted everything that could not be seen with it. This way I could "stretch" the quart of '97 :D red that I had! :woohoo:

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011033.jpg Here's the paint seeing the first light of day in 14 yrs! Not to pretty ,eh?

This should look better!WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011035.jpg

I spent a lot of time mixing to make sure I had it mixed thoroughly!

Measured out 8 ounces and did the math for the thinner and hardener.

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011036.jpg

I used a new HVLP gun I bought at HF yesterday. It was a touchup gun that shot 4 ounces at a time.Put at least 2 coats on everything. I almost painted everything but ran out.

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011037.jpg

Started splitting hairs and mixed another 4 ounces.

WheelHorse312Hrestoration2011038.jpg

That's where I'm at right now. The gun worked great and had very little over spray! Gotta save that paint!

Martin

well, you are getting there rich, love the booth idea. and the tripod.... :woohoo: im impressed with how much overspray you DIDNT end up with. those HVLP guns definitely save the paint. looking forward to more updates..........

312Hydro

well, you are getting there rich, love the booth idea. and the tripod.... :woohoo: im impressed with how much overspray you DIDNT end up with. those HVLP guns definitely save the paint. looking forward to more updates..........

Thanks Martin! I should be painting the other parts soon. I'll let these harden and then start assembling the chassis.

Question: What would be the best silver to use on the wheels? I'll do a search on the forum but I still would be interested in opinions.

Also,I saw some yellow cadmium plated? bolts by the pound at TSC today. Anyone use them?

mr.pipes

What kind (size) compressor are you using with the HVLP gun?

How many cfm at what psi does the gun need?

Do you think you could get one coat on the hood and seat pan with the 4oz cup?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to do some painting and trying to figure out I am going to do it.

• Like 1

312Hydro

What kind (size) compressor are you using with the HVLP gun?

How many cfm at what psi does the gun need?

Do you think you could get one coat on the hood and seat pan with the 4oz cup?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to do some painting and trying to figure out I am going to do it.

I have an 80 gallon vertical 2 stage compressor. 21 cfm @175 psi.It's overkill for these guns. The gun only uses 5 cfm at 30 psi.I bought this in a kit with another HVLP gun with a 20 oz cup. Here is the link to the gun:

HVLP Guns I plan on using the larger gun for the hood and fender only because i want to see how it does. I think the touch up gun could shoot a hood and pan if you want .I'd mix up 8 oz of paint +reducer + hardener and see where that gets you . You have time between coats to mix more. It definitely had a good fan and material transfer. I'm more comfortable with a larger gun for sheet metal. The kit is on sale for $49.99 right now and I just got a circular the day after I bought it showing the kit for $39.99. Isn't that the way it always goes? :woohoo: Sign up for the circulars. I also bought the disposable 20 oz cups and gravity feed stand. So far I think it's worked well for me.I recommend a gun mounted pressure regulator too.You don't need to account for line loss on the pressure . Sorry for long post ,just want to answer you as best I can.

Horse'n Around

Everything is looking awesome. Ive been wanting to get a HVLP gun. Before got into LE and later on broke my back I too was a bodyman by trade and I always worked in dealerships so the only painting I have ever done was on my own stuff except for a few times at this one shop I worked at when I was in a hurry and didnt have time to wait for the painter (who was a friend of mine and very busy) to edge some parts so I "helped" him and edged them myself so I could get back to work on my job. I owned a Devilbiss JGA 502 that I loved but I hear a HVLP calling my name. I need to buy one and practice with it as Im sure it takes a lot different technique that the Devilbiss that I have. When I watched my friend thru the window in the booth he made very fast passes and it looks to me like that is a key but like I said I need to buy one and practice. I guess its time to move into the 21st century and buy one,besides my Devilbiss is now a primer gun so I need a paint gun anyway :woohoo:

John