Sign in to follow this  
condo630

Raider 9

312Hydro

Your tractor is really coming along nicely. I can tell it's going to look great when your finished. :woohoo:

condo630

Hi Chris,

I notice in one of your early pictures of the transmission the top of it is covered in oil. I only mention this because later, in the picture of it primed, I think I see a welded repair to the case?.

Was the leak from another source or did you fix it with the weld?

I can't think how a crack would appear there, unless when it was split in the past somewhen it was dropped. :ROTF: 'Course i could be seeing things. :woohoo::P

Your making great progress, keep it up . :D

Farmer,

I have no idea what that weld looking spot is all about...matter of fact, the whole transmission looked odd to me, to include that "lump" you mentioned. The two halves are not symmetrical at all and there is a very flat, smooth spot next to what you are describing where the range shifter is. I think the part that looks welded is just a lump left from where they poured the casting and sliced off some of the excess. The fresh oil in the other pic is from removing the two bolts that hold the center section of sheet metal to the transmission. It was pretty oily all over though. It's red by now, but I'll look at it more closely tomorrow. Thanks for noticing, I kind of wrote it off since I'm not real concerned about the transmission right now. It's actually pretty tight, though I don't know if the limited slip is working, did not know I had it until the tractor was apart. We'll see where it leaks once I get to run it, and tear into that next summer.

For what it's worth, the guy I bought it from told me that he was the second owner for only a few years. He said he bought it from an equipment dealership where the original owner had traded it for a newer thing, and came in half an hour after it sold demanding that he have it back... :D

Your tractor is really coming along nicely. I can tell it's going to look great when your finished. whtractor/thumbsup.gif

Thanks Rich, I've been enjoying your 312-H rebuild.

My oil pan, engine pulley, bearing race and regulator for the Kohler got here today. Out of curiosity/boredom I hooked the starter up to a battery and let it turn over a few times...sounds good. I still need a choke setup...for some reason, the choke has been completely removed from the carb. Going to check with the parts stores tomorrow, see if I can get one without buying a carb. I have a few leads on a replacement hub as well.

condo630

Body filler is on the seat pan (pitting on top and ugly welds where I tacked the mounting bracket onto the bottom) and hood (dent at corner, and 2-3 small pits). I will finish sanding tomorrow. Pictures coming. I will likely put another coat of primer on everything, it got kind of thin in a lot of places.

Question about painting: at what point(s) does a coat of paint need sanded, and for what reason(s)? My friend who used to do bodywork could not remember if we needed to sand between two coats of primer. Doesn't make much sense to me to do that, as I primed the bare metal without sanding it...what gives? :woohoo:

condo630

Did not finish sanding, or anything for that matter. It's been extremely hot and I've been rather busy with other things, so no progress to report. I'll get back on it eventually.

sned

Awesome job so far. Have a few projects that would be finished if I had your energy.

Wheel Horse Kid

Looks like you are really coming along there! Keep up the good work!

condo630

Sorry no pictures right now (I broke my camera...again :woohoo: ), but the body filler is sanded and more primer is on everything. Next I'll be wet sanding in preparation for red paint.

312Hydro

Sorry no pictures right now (I broke my camera...again :woohoo: ), but the body filler is sanded and more primer is on everything. Next I'll be wet sanding in preparation for red paint.

Sounds good , Chris. Keep at it, you'll be done in no time! :D Great build, BTW.

condo630

Sounds good , Chris. Keep at it, you'll be done in no time! :D Great build, BTW.

Thanks Rich. It's getting there.

condo630

Whew, it's been a while. In the meantime, I acquired another tractor 'to ride while this one is apart' that ended up requiring some attention itself, and not to mention I'm working full time again...

...so some small things have been getting done here and there, when I get a spare minute.

All the wet-sanding of sheet metal, frame and anything else worth sanding is complete, I located sandblasting equipment and cleaned up most of the remaining small parts and primed them, got a hold of a good rear hub, Wheel Horse style oil pan and Kohler rectifier. I am still in need of a key switch and starter solenoid, though the wiring will likely be the last thing to happen. I will also need a junk carburetor, or just a choke plate and shaft.

Photo10041839_1.jpg

Camera is still broken, but I got you one picture :thumbs2:

Once again, I have delusions of grandeur for what I'm going to get done on my day off this Friday, but who really knows what will happen. I'd like to paint just about everything but the hood and fenders; who knows what I'll actually have time for though...

312Hydro

Glad to see that your still at it! Parts are looking good :thumbs2: Congrats on the full time employment, that's a plus in anyone's book!

Don1977

I had a hub with worn key way. I had a key way broached on the other side and put it back on.

Zeek

What sandblasting equipment are you using?

condo630

Glad to see that your still at it! Parts are looking good whtractor/thumbsup.gif Congrats on the full time employment, that's a plus in anyone's book!

Thanks, Rich. Some steady income helps get stuff like this done a little faster too!

I had a hub with worn key way. I had a key way broached on the other side and put it back on.

I may try that sometime when I have the tools. I found a hub cheaper than I could have a new key way cut.

What sandblasting equipment are you using?

A lady that I do some work for has a garage full of stuff...I ran across a 10 or 15 gallon pressure pot last month. I'm using that with a 5HP 20 gallon compressor regulated to about 80PSI...I let it get pressurized to about 120, then am able to blast for a few minutes; it still runs constantly. I'm not sure what the duty cycle on that machine is, but I think I could go a little longer. I still had plenty of air to take paint off. I think I'm using a 1/8" nozzle, the only one I could find that fit the valve. I used a "fine blend" media, something like 30-60, which left a bit of a rough finish but a light sanding took it down nice and smooth.

condo630

Finally!!!!

before.jpg

Before...

after.jpg

After...

...more later!

massey

Looking good, I swear there's about a million and six parts to these things when you break them down for paint.

COMMANDO6

Did you spray the steering wheel?!? :thumbs2:

Wheel Horse Kid

Looks like you are coming along good on it! Keep up the good work!

AMC RULES

Imagine hanging those parts, what that must've looked like to passers by. :thumbs2:

condo630

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. :banghead:

Imagine hanging those parts, what that must've looked like to passers by. laughter.gif

My thoughts exactly! I did get some weird looks.

I live in an older housing development where the lots are not as small as some, but it is an odd thing for someone to be spraying tractor parts hanging from a maple tree. :thumbs2:

Did you spray the steering wheel?!? whtractor/scratchhead.gif

No, it's taped off.

Looking good, I swear there's about a million and six parts to these things when you break them down for paint.

I hope I can remember how they go back together!

WH Raider10

Very nice restoration,the way it should be done! Keep up the good work and have fun. :banghead: :thumbs2:

HorseFixer

Finally!!!!

before.jpg

Before...

after.jpg

After...

...more later!

Thats looking good Chris :banghead: Even the Shade Tree Painting! :banghead: Sorry I just couldnt resist! :thumbs2:

~Duke

condo630

Thats looking good Chris whtractor/thumbsup.gif Even the Shade Tree Painting! whtractor/thumbsup.gif Sorry I just couldnt resist! whtractor/yankchain[1].gif

Sure is "shadetree"...the only way I know how to do things! :thumbs:

Reassembly progress...

Photo10101736.jpg

Photo10131629.jpg

Photo10131629_1.jpg

I think the tires are original, I did put new tubes in the fronts as the old ones had rust shards stuck in them. That's not over spray on the rears, just wet sanding dirt. I hope sometime the tires get replaced and the rims get powder coated, but this will work for now.

I am using stainless hardware any place you will be able to see it...how on earth does everyone keep track of all the nuts and bolts that come off these things?!?!?!?!?!? :banghead:

I guess I'll tear into the engine next, and finish painting when the stars align once again :banghead: I know the oil pan is coming off to get replaced or drilled for mounting bolts...I hope the replacement I bought fits.

I had a little problem with this guy...

Photo10131630.jpg

...the clutch idler pulley must have gotten sand in it during sandblasting...the bushing in the middle no longer turns freely. Is that a bearing or just a bushing? Does it need to spin, or does it actually ride on its mounting bolt? I can't remember how it was and I can't tell how it ought to be, but it seems wrong... :thumbs2:

Thanks for the compliments...this is the first project I've ever gone all out on. I'm very grateful for your help as well. :D

condo630

More painting today...did not go so well... :party:

hanging.jpg

Getting a little chilly for things to dry in the shed

runs.jpg

Bad runs on hood :dunno:

I had a little malfunction with the spray gun I was using. :thanks: Talked myself into using the "better" one I had borrowed from a friend, well it was dirty and I did not know how to adjust it properly. Should have stuck to the one I used last time. :party: I also got some contamination from something on the hood, or water in the air line.

The fenders are ok, but pretty orange peely, so I will probably sand down everything and paint it again... :wh::help::thanks:

If I'm going to tear down a tractor and start from scratch, I'm going to get the result I want, even if I have to repaint all the sheet metal twice. :thanks:

312Hydro

Your right about doing it the way you want. So what if it takes a little longer? You'll end up with a great tractor that will be fun to use! :dunno: It's going together nicely.