Sign in to follow this  
ChiefRider

60th Anniversary Blowing Fuses

ChiefRider

Ok, my first post about a problem- Here goes.

The last Wheel Horse my dad bought was a 60th anniversary (2008) with a 16hp Kohler. Not sure of the model number- I believe it is a 400 series. It was almost 5k when new!

Now for the problem- it is blowing fuses. I was using it last year when it stopped dead. A 10 amp fuse blew, and according to the wiring diagram, it was a seat safety interlock. Replaced the fuse, and everything was fine for another 1-2 hours of use. It blew another 10 amp, and my brother jumped the circuit. Shortly thereafter, it blew the 30 amp main.

My brother sent it back to the dealer who replaced the fuses and of course, can find nothing wrong. My assumption is that there is something shorting during operation intermittently, and I'm hoping someone here has already experienced this particular issue. I hate electrical problems!

Thanks for any help!

DoctorHfuhruhurr

As a quick and dirty fix I installed a breaker similar to this one once ....

http://compare.ebay.com/like/230611437306?...r=sbar&_lwgsi=y

Obviously it's not the preferred method to fix it but it buys you time to track it down properly.

shorts

install a 12v 10a auto resetting circuit breaker in place of the fuse and energize the circuit then take a magnetic compass and follow the wire harness with the compass while the circut breaker is switching on and off, the compass needle will move every time the breaker makes and breaks, as you follow the harness when the needle stops moving open the harness up and fix the short.