Sign in to follow this  
crfc120

New Guy Needs Help

crfc120

I recently became acquired two older Wheel Horse garden tractors. First is a model 1-7231. Which I believe is a 1968 Charger 12. The other is a model 1-0491. Which i believe is a 1975 C-120. My question is about pushing a non-running

hydrostat tractor around the workshop. The Charger has a valve with a towing position and rolls freely. THe C-120 has no such valve and resists any movement.

Am I missing something or is it not supposed to be moved when not running.

smoreau

The c120 should have a strait blade screw driver head screw on the left side of the tractor just under the front of the seat on the hydro pump, just loosen up the screw a few turns and it should roll free.

daveoman1966

Here is the Push Valve for the C-120, C-160, and others starting in about 1973.

You MAY have to put a pair of vise grips on this as it is usually STUCK pretty tight. It only needs one turn or so to allow tractor to be pushed / pulled. Even so, move the tractor SLOWLY... even with the valve open.

Attached Image

post-74-1306197654.jpg

crfc120

Thanks a lot guys. I'm going out now to check it out!

crfc120

Found it. Seems as if vise grips will be necessary. Half of the slot is broken off. I have been using car dollies to move it around and will contine to do so for now. Thanks again.

kyhorse

Hey, what happens if, once you are done working on it, you close it back up and the drive will not engage? It (D160) was working fine before I had to do some electrical work on it, now that I have it running great, it won't move! Low fluid? Moved it too fast when it was disnegaged? What? :woohoo: