Sign in to follow this  
idruthrbfishin

Toro 11-44

idruthrbfishin

I purchased a late 80's Toro 11-44 riding mower last summer. I have had trouble with it not charging the battery since I purchased it, which is probably why I picked it up so cheap. I almost always have to jump start it. Last week, between rain storms, I tried to start it to mow my grass which was starting to look like a hayfield. It would not start, even with my jumper-box hooked up. It was getting fuel, but had a weak spark. I tried a new plug, but still had a lackluster spark. I pulled the shroud off the top of the motor, (11 horse, single cyl. vertical shaft Briggs) and found a HUGE! :hide: mouse nest complete with mother and babies. After the mess was removed, I found out that they had chewed most of the way through the plug wire. I replaced it with a spare from a 12.5 hp Briggs. I cleaned the pickup bars on the flywheel, and used 2 pieces of sandpaper between the coil and the pickup for clearance when I tightened the coil. Now it is charging, and starts every time w/o being jumped, but I'm afraid it might be overcharging. I read 16 volts at the battery with the engine running. My question is, with the battery having been totally dead, would it be normal to see voltage that high, or is it too much? Also, what is the proper clearance between the coil and the flywheel? Thanks for looking, and sorry for being so long-winded. :WRS:

TT

:hide:

The magneto air gap should be around .014" to .016"

I'm not sure what AMP charging system is on this particular machine, but I'd make sure the battery is completely charged and then check the alternator output.

There could also be a problem with the stator (under the flywheel) and/or the wiring - since the mice worked their magic on the plug wire.

puddlejumper

I have no Idea whatn this measurement would be but I was showed along time ago to use 2-1 dollar bills to set the gap between the flywheel magnets and coil on a briggs. I have done this lots of times and it has never failed.

If all you have is fiftys and hundreds I am pretty sure they will work to , you just need to be more carefull not to tear them when removing. :hide: