Sign in to follow this  
Smokey Blaze

Ignition Switch or Solenoid

Smokey Blaze

I was cutting grass with my WH 211-5 and stopped to empty the bags on the grass catcher. After emptying the bags I tried to restart the 211, but it would not turn over. Turned the key and nothing, not even a click. Even the headlights would not come on.

After a little tinkering I was able to start the 211 by jumping the terminal posts on the the solenoid. My question is this. Is my problem with the ignition switch or the solenoid? The 211 is equipped with its original B & S 11 hp engine. The battery was new in November, 2010. :hide:

TT

Check the interlock (safety) switches first. (PTO disengaged completely, clutch pedal completely depressed, etc.)

If it has any fuses, check them too.

rmaynard

When you turn the key to start, does the solenoid click? If so, the switch is okay.

Smokey Blaze

Safety switches all seem ok, Clutch fully depressed, PTO switch off.

Smokey Blaze

Checked fuses. No "clicking noise" when trying to start with the key / ignition switch.

I should also add that once I got the 211 started by jumping the terminals on the solenoid I ran the tractor for a while then turned it off with the key. I immediately restarted the engine with the key / ignition switch. After finishing the job and blowing the tractor off I tried to restart it and experienced the same problem.

TT

Disconnect the plug from the ignition switch & plug it in again.

Sometimes they "lose contact" at the terminals.

Do you have a test light or a "multi-meter"? :hide:

Smokey Blaze

disconnected plug from ignition switch and plugged it back in. It seems secure and in place. I do have a test light

TT

I sent you a PM. :hide: