Sign in to follow this  
rick

No fire in the wire!

rick

I didn't know whether to post this in the engine,electrical, or other brands section, figured I would start here for the most traffic.

I am trying to get a Kohler running, I have replaced every part of the ignition system but the coil core (the laminated part). The magnets in the flywheel will pull a screwdriver, I have tried new points and condenser, spark plug (3) and a new coil.

The points gap is correct, they break at the "S", and gap is .020".

No spark at all. None.

Any ideas, anyone?

Cody

Clean the points, i have often seen new points with a film on them causing no spark, once cleaned the engine started right up. Just a good place to start.

rmaynard

Did the problem begin after you replaced everything, or did you replace everything because it didn't have spark?

Coadster32

Did the problem begin after you replaced everything, or did you replace everything because it didn't have spark?

Good point. Also, I like to try one thing at a time. Otherwise, how do you know what the problem really was? Nothing learned to me is still a bad day.

Also, just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good, or will function properly.

rick

was not running when brought to me. also had no clearance between intake valve stem and tappet.

I always clean points when installing them, checked for resistance when points closed, too.

has anyone seen the lamination part of the coil fail? I haven't, and my question is, has anyone seen this part fail?

stevasaurus

The coil on my 702 would be OK for start up and using, but after a while (more then a half hour of mowing) the engine would just slow down and die. After sitting 15 to 20 minutes it would start up again. It turned out to be a bad coil that got hot. No more problem since I replaced it.

I know that does not help you, but yes, they can go bad. :hide:

Rick, I am not sure I am talking about the same thing you are. Is this a battery start??

Never mind, I see the "T" and read the book. Do those coils have an adjustment (as to distance from the magnets)??? On a Briggs, the adjustment is about the width of a calling card. And ,yes, one of those coils was bad. Sorry, I misunderstood what you had.

rick

I have tried a new coil, the part that the spark plug wire is attached to, but it didn't help. I am wanting to know if the laminated "E" part of the coil can go bad. On this application, the core is available separately. As Mr Pipes would say, the smoke came out of one of these two parts and it doesn't work any more. I just can't see where they put the smoke into the laminations.......