Sign in to follow this  
Cody

520 carb

Cody

Hello fellas i just picked up a 1995 520 for $300 with a 42" Rd deck, the tractor is very nice except the paint is faded and the seat is shot. It runs with no smoke or knocks but the ide is not the best. On this carb there is no mixture screw to adjust it. I have a carb off a 416 and am wondering if it will work with the P220? This carb has the mixture screw which in my opinion is a plus. Any insight is welcome. Thank you

stevebo

same carb

Cody

Thank you Stevebo, the thing that got me was the diameter inside the carb looked bigger on the P220. must have been my eyes

TT

I can't find adequate documentation to back this up, but I do know that the carbs are "different" between the P218 & P220 (the only other difference is the camshaft), so I feel safe in saying that the carb from a P216 is definitely jetted leaner, and possibly has a smaller venturi.

Will a P216 carb work on a 218 or 220? I would say yes - but only if the main jet size is increased. I'm not too sure about the idle circuit though. :hide:

Cody

It sounds like i should possibly start looking around for a P220 carb, i want the tractor to be right and perform as it should. Also is there anyway to possibly straighten out the carb that is on it? I took it apart and cleaned it, but haven't gotten it back on to test it yet.

Cody

Just tried the original carb after i cheaned it to to bottom and it still runs like crap on an idle, and surges a bit too. Any thoughts???

sorekiwi

Another thing worth checking is for air leaks around the inlet manifold - both where it bolts onto the heads, and also along the seam whre the two halves of the manifold join together.