Sign in to follow this  
546cowboy

The downside on the green machine!

546cowboy

Well you know I was so busy making the green machine Wheel Horse red that I missed some important PO mods. Besides having the coil and the too small solenoid in the wrong places, it's not the original motor. The output side of the crank is too short for an electric clutch or any PTO for that matter. In other words if I leave it this way it is a plowing or towing tractor.

So I do have a 42" plow but I also have a 12 horse Kohler with a 3 1/4" output shaft and here is the irony in the thing, it came off a John Deere 212 I bought at the local wrecking yard for $53.50 just to get the starter.

I just sold the transmission out of the Deere the other day for $100 and now I may use the motor in what was a John Deere green Wheel Horse.

How's that for fate? Sometimes the strange things that happen are truly hard to believe. It's like this all happened (getting the JD and going to that sale and seeing the JD green WH) because some higher authority had a plan.

So what do you all think plow Horse or 12 horse?

SousaKerry

May want to keep it a plow :hide: most of them JD motors have a 1" output shaft although you can make an adapter fairly easily as I did for an old motor I had. I also seem to remember someone saying the JD motors did not have thrust bearings on the crank so that the manual :WRS: PTO would cause abnormal wear

Yet don't try to tell one of them JD fans that they had inferior motors :) :disgust:

ol550

I also seem to remember someone saying the JD motors did not have thrust bearings on the crank so that the manual :WRS: PTO would cause abnormal wear

The one hole Kohlers except for (I think) the 6 1/4 hp have two ball bearings on the crankshaft. The KT17 only have ball bearings in the ones built to Wheel Horse

specs. :hide: Mike

546cowboy

Well after further inspection it is a 1" shaft on the 12 horse so it looks like plow tractor it is. At least now it's a good looking Wheel Horse plow tractor.

SousaKerry

The one hole Kohlers except for (I think) the 6 1/4 hp have two ball bearings on the crankshaft. The KT17 only have ball bearings in the ones built to Wheel Horse

specs. whtractor/hide.gif Mike

I stand corrected sir :hide:

Although I am now wondering about the former simplicity KT17 II that now occupies the engine compartment on my C-125

Forest Road

Doesn't look like your at any sort of a loss for fully functional 520's and then some. i'm sure it'll be a great plow tractor.

546cowboy

You can see it at Portland,IN on Friday. I'll have the decals on by then. I am going to be there for at least Friday and Saturday. It will be my first time at on of these and I hope t meet some of you while I'm there.