Sign in to follow this  
tarcoleo

Using a Lawn Sweeper

tarcoleo

Am considering purchasing a tow-behind WH grass sweeper. While sweepers

generally are used for leaves, I am interested in rounding up grass clips from

a SD 48" deck. How well will it do that job?

Tom in RI

Duff

Tom, I am not familiar with the :) sweepers specifically, but I use a "regular" tow-behind lawn sweeper behind my tractors for lawn clippings and it does a nice job. The only thing I have noticed is if you have crabgrass in your lawn, the brushes tend to kick it up so it looks like it wasn't mowed evenly afterwards..... :WRS:

Duff :hide:

tarcoleo

Hey Duff-

Thanks for the prompt response. Poking around the internet suggests that the

WH lawn sweeper in question is typical of the breed and should do the job as you suggest. Good to know about the crab grass.

Tom in RI :hide:

Forest Road

My dad's friend has used sweepers w/ a 42" RD for 30+ yrs. Loves them on the 2 - 4 acre properties he's owned. Hhhmmm wonder how large an area he actually sweeps?

sorekiwi

If I let my lawn get away from me at this time of year, I have to use the sweeper or else the grass clogs up the deck on the next cutting.

I use a Craftsman "High Speed Sweeper" which is something tp do with driving the brushes faster than a "normal" sweeper. It does a great job on grass clippings, pine needles, small twigs, leaves and dog poo. The grass has to be dry or it will lock up one of the wheels on the turns.

IMG_2798.jpg

truckin88

I have used sweepers all of my life (my dad swore by them). I bet WH did not make that their own, someone made it and it was branded by WH. The best quality ones are Parker, they are $$$ new, but on the used market you can nab one for 50-125. I currently use the craftsman high speed that is above, good machine, the only issue I have with a 42" sweeper, is on uneven/steep terrain it is easy for it to slide or become dead weight and not sweep, (maybe due to lack of suspension?), where with a 32-38" sweeper, they will keep working.

stevebo

If you are looking to actually pick up the clippings while mowing then you will need to use it with a rd deck only. If you use a side discharge you will never be in the right path to pick them up.

Kelly

I have never had a good sweeper, but even the junkers I use I love them, in the fall, and if I don't keep on top of my grass cutting, or like right now, it's rained and rained, then the grass gets way too tall, so the sweeper gets a work out.

Here is my youngest last fall pulling a free sweeper, I picked up.

100_3053.jpg

W9JAB
sweper001.jpg :hide:

mr.pipes
417carb420014.jpg