Sign in to follow this  
416/520

Repower on the cheap

416/520

Hello! This is my first post. Well.the grass is growing like crazy,and the Onan twins are making a lot of valve train noise.I actually think that the trouble started by me using Seafoam improperly as a top end cleaner. In the future ,I would rather just remove any carbon the old fashioned way. Anyway,my purpose here is to repower with a Harbor Freight Clone so I am not rushed with the repair of the Onans. I have a 16 Horsepower on the 416-8 and a 20 Hp on the 520 H

The motor is a blue 13 horsepower single piston unit ,and it will be mounted on the 416-8. My goal is to not drill even one extra hole in the frame. Luckily,the shaft is about 2" lower than the on the twin 16,so I can build a second mounting plate above the first. The hood will have to take a vacation because the motor extends too far forward and the exhaust would probably blister the paint if it did fit in. There is no way to turn the exhaust port sideways either. 13 Horsepower for 229.00 [including the extended service plan ] is affordable to me.

The mods needed for this job appear to be minimal. First,the output shaft on the onan is 1-1/8th vs. the 1" on the clone. I purchased a bushing and will need to modify the key stock to a 1/4 x3/16 rectangular configuration. I am a little concerned that the bushing may want to slide off the smaller shaft The output pulley will need to be pulled,but there are 4 threaded holes in the pulley that should make it possible to use a couple of cap screws to accomplish the task. Adding an angle iron to the engine to adapt the pressure bonnet linkage should be the final part needed to make it mow.

I am taking a risk by posting this before the project gets off the ground,because success or failure will be on full display. I will take pictures and post them if possible.

smoreau

:) I would have tryed a older Kohler engine for a temp. engine before trying a engine that needs a lot of adapters to fit. I know china freight engines are cheep to buy and I know that is not made in :hide: And hard times are here for all of us. so get that onen fixed as soon as possible. always try to keep your :disgust: made in the :WRS:

VinsRJ

:hide:

Its your tractor and your cash in your wallet..... go the direction which fits your needs/wants. Just be prepared that a Clone is not a drop in repower.

can whlvr

my true honda drop in was a direct fit with the motor plate for a 308-8,i did have to take the head lights out and the bezels,my motor doesnt make power for lights,i keep everything safe incase a kohler comes about but the honda motor is truely a good motor,it has no battery,no points,no throttle cable,no choke cable and no wiring to speak of so its very reliable,its a 13 hp and is as strong as my 14 kohlers,it just wont last as long,when it dies it goes to the scrap yard

416/520

Well,so far,I raised the HF by 1-1/4" ,and it looks like a fit. I used 2 grade 8 bolts and a scrap piece of steel to pull the drive pulley. I have been searching for a 1/4"x5/16" rectangular key. I could just use a woodruff and grind it down,but a very nice guy at Swigert Electric Motor Repair in Englewood,OH offered to mill one out for me. I love small town service.

The blade engagement assembly will require a flat steel plate to raise it higher than the mounting holes on the engine. Just a piece of plate steel with 4 holes drilled will make this adapter. I am finding that hardware store trips probably are taking longer than the shop time at home

If I did not make it clear before, I want to repair the Onan. I am all ears if there would be an Onan guru in the membership who knows their way around this engine.

I might try to find an old rat WH to repower later for a spare,but my machines are very nice with the 416 having very good paint and straight metal.

can whlvr

sounds like you will get her on her feet again

Olratlr

Sounds like you got it figured out Good Luck. :hide:

416/520

Tractor is UP running. :hide: for your support, guys. Probably the hardest thing about a project like this is just having the guts and confidence in yourself to take it on.

I mowed with the HF beastie, which was installed into the 520H instead of the 416-8, just to see if it had enough power,and it does. I ran it at half throttle for a half hour,and then opened it up not quite wide open. I was cutting the grass completely wet, in light rain,because it was so tall. The stuff was even going to seed,as it does this time of year,and the clone took it in stride. add state hiway fescue in the ditches,and that is some tough cutting. The motor is buzzy, but not too bad or too loud

I learned a lot and made some mistakes,so if I can get the pictures to load up,I will give a little step by step,if there is interest in this sort of thing.

smoreau

Glad you got her cutting grass again! good job on a hard task! you should be proud of your self, not every one can implement a plan like you did and make it work in the end.

:hide:

tbbahner

Contrats on gettinerdone! I'd be interested in seeing the pics of the process.

Tom B

littleredrider

I'm gonna try to get a parts 520 this weekend, says the motor runs but needs tinkering, I have an Onan sitting here I can take parts off to get it running. Then it's getting parted. So, might have motor for yah...