Sign in to follow this  
Lane Ranger

K -181 Question

Lane Ranger

I am interested in knowing is an 8HP kohler from a 80's model C-85 will work as a direct replacement motor for a B-80 model.

I think the motor mounts and oil sump pan on the bottom of the motor may be a little different. I beleive the C-85 "black hood type model" has a different motro mount with four rubber mounts.

I think the oil sump pans can be changed but not sure about the motor mounts .

I just want to make sure the pto setup will be where it needs to be.

I would appreciate any firsthand knowledge anyone has about this exchange of motors.

Thanks for any experienced guidance.

:hide:

Lane Ranger

BUMP

TT

BUMP

Hope it didn't hurt. :hide:

They're basically the same engine, with the exception of (possibly) the oil drain plug location in the pan. (I can go look in a little while.)

Lane Ranger

TT - You are right on the money as ususal!

I bumped hoping I would get your attention -as I thought you had one of the C-85's at one time.

I went to look at it heard it run and compared my measurements on a B-80 and the only real differene was the oil drain plug as you mentioned. The C-85 K181 S motor has about a one inch drain plug and cap underneath the PTO.

I bought it as it idled nice and was basically all together for a bolt down on to the B-80 tractor.

It was also someone I had bought some other wheel horse parts from.

tbbahner

Didn't they have different oil pans or something? My C85 has a K181AS and most others have a K181S. I've been looking at options for my C85 and figured there would be changes that would have to be made.

Lane Ranger

The one I purchased from a C-85 has the same oil pan as the B-80 -only the oil drain plug is on the PTO side. It is a K-181 S not AS. But it may or may not be the original motor for the C-85 -I am not sure.

wheelhorse656

i belive the K181s was the correct motor for the C85 but im not sure either :hide: