Sign in to follow this  
MalMac

Break in oil

MalMac

I am about 2 steps from firing up a new rebuild. One of things I like about this site is there are alot of good and qualified people here to offer opinions. So with that said. What are the members using for break in oil? The straight 30W? Multi wt.? or maybe a real straight light wt like 5w? I myself have used a number of different oils in the past some with good results some with no so good results. Opinions needed and appreciated.

Giles

Since I have no idea what type engine you are referring to, I can only give a broad opinion.

I have rebuilt hundreds of engines and I would just use the oil that you plan to use after "break in".

I have used Chevron Dello 400 30W for years with excellent results.

Today, you must consider the removal (zinc) from modern oils.

Simce I am in dought whether Dello oil still has enough ZDDP--I am considering Valvoline VR1 in 30W.

I would use a 30W HD oil, vary the rpm, limit idel time, and change, after about three hours of use.

Just My Opinion

i would add some zinc (zddp) to the oil. Rislone makes an additive part # 4401 , use 20% to bring it up safe level

MalMac

The rebuild is an old K series Kohler.

VinsRJ

I would use just staight 30W... warm it up, adjust the carb and let run it for about 15 minutes at medium throttle.... let cool retorque the head and change the oil with fresh 30.... and away we go :hide:

can whlvr

i was told that its a good thing to change the oil after 15 min,when you retorque the head,just in case there is any thing in the way of new filings from the new parts,then after a few hours and then on regular changes,you will have to decide what oil to use,theres so many choices,i just use 5w30 whether its right or not,i have too many engines to do oil changes on i get my oil at wallymart

Docwheelhorse

Not that I want to start the synthetic versus conventional debate here ---but--- Mobil 1 EXTENDED performance (Gold Label) has the proper amount of zinc in it. I did some reading about normal Mobil 1 versus the extended 15,000 mile guarantee stuff and thats what I found. I run the 15/50 version in my Kohlers and haven't had any trouble at all. Just my thoughts.... like I said---don't need to fire up the Synthetic debate again :hide: Awwwwwwww crap I just saw the AMSOIL guy fire up his computer.... :WRS:

Tony

VinsRJ

Not that I want to start the synthetic versus conventional debate here ---but--- Mobil 1 EXTENDED performance (Gold Label) has the proper amount of zinc in it. I did some reading about normal Mobil 1 versus the extended 15,000 mile guarantee stuff and thats what I found. I run the 15/50 version in my Kohlers and haven't had any trouble at all. Just my thoughts.... like I said---don't need to fire up the Synthetic debate again :WRS: Awwwwwwww crap I just saw the AMSOIL guy fire up his computer.... :disgust:

Tony

Just......... great Tony...... :hide: :)