Sign in to follow this  
Clarkbug

8-speed Clutch Question

Clarkbug

G'Morning All.

My C-120 with the 8 speed has an interesting quirk, which I dont know if its a problem or not, so I figured I would ask here.

I replaced the drive belt with an OEM one, since the one that was on there just wasnt up to the task. But I have noticed that if I push the clutch alllll the way down, it actually stops the tractor. Not on a hill, but just out mowing on flat ground. Im pretty sure this isnt supposed to be the case, so any ideas what would cause it?

Can this be caused by the belt routing? Or should I look at the clutch/brake band linkage to make sure stuff isnt getting snagged there?

JC 1965

:WRS: Does your tractor have a clutch and break pedal? The older tractors only had one pedal, it had two functions. ( clutch and break ). Push it part way down and it worked as a clutch all the way down it worked as the break. hope this helps!! :hide:

Horse-Drawn

I would suspect it's the little retainer finger on the top of the tensioner pulley. If it's too close to the belt & you depress the clutch all the way, the friction will actually stop the tractor as it pinches the belt against the pulley.

Been there, scratched my head on that also. :hide:

can whlvr

if u r going slow then this is common for my horses too

Clarkbug

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I do have two pedals, a clutch and a brake. I think it might be what horse-drawn mentioned, as it doesnt seem to matter what speed Im traveling at, just if I really press the pedal all the way down.

Ill take a look at that retainer, or just see if I can put a stop to prevent me from pushing the pedal in that far.

TT

That's the way it's supposed to work, so don't try to "fix" it.

You can experiment by not depressing the pedal quite as far when stopping.

Clarkbug

That's the way it's supposed to work, so don't try to "fix" it.

You can experiment by not depressing the pedal quite as far when stopping.

Ahhh, this is good information to know!

Any idea why its supposed to work that way?

TT

Any idea why its supposed to work that way?

So the belt and tranz input shaft will stop -- allowing the operator to select a "gear" without making them grind.

I won't get into detail, but almost all "big trucks" (Mack / KW / Freightliner, etc.) with non-synchro transmissions have some sort of clutch brake. If they didn't, you never be able to get the transmission in gear without massive grindage. :hide:

This is only necessary when attempting to place the transmission into gear after the engine is running / tranz is in neutral / clutch is engaged.

Clarkbug

Thanks for the explanation Terry.

That makes sense to me to try and stop the input shaft, but I just didnt expect that it would be good for the machine or the belt to stop it so suddenly. I have several old farmalls, and they have the non-synchro gears so you have to be stopped (or really good at your double clutching) to get them to mesh without grinding. In fact one of them lost its road gear from the 4 to 5 shift (previous owner).