Sign in to follow this  
jnelkie

clutch not catching

jnelkie

I put a new battery in my bronco that I picked up last fall and I got it running but the starter doesn't always turn the engine over, it seems like it's really hard to turn over somtimes and other times it turns over easy. Any ideas why it is doing that? The other problemI have is the electric clutch is trying to engage but it won't catch and it only turns a couple of inches when you turn it on. Is there a way to rebuild them? Any help would be appreciative, Thanks

stevasaurus

Don't know about the electric clutch, but as far as the starter...the fact that you say it works great sometimes and not so great others, tells me it is probably a grounding issue. I had the same thing on my B-100, and after cleaning all of the grounds...and I mean all of the grounds, it now cranks like it is brand new. :WRS: Doesn't hurt to clean the hots either. :hide:

I even removed the starter and cleaned where it mounts on the motor. Should solve your problem.

can whlvr

if you take the starter off you might as well take it apart and inspect and clean and lubricate it,its should be done from time to time,make sure you get the proper lube for the starter gear,im sorry i dont remember the type but you can ask the dealer if you call them

tunahead72

So, is nobody going to recommend Steve's highly entertaining and informative thread on rebuilding Kohler starters? :hide:

Don't know what kind of engine/starter you have on your Bronco, but a lot of the principles will be the same:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/22319-pictures-of-k241-starter-teardown/

Can't help you with your clutch, sorry. :WRS:

Edited by CasualObserver
udpated link

stevasaurus

Ed...that is funny :):WRS:

Don...lithium grease...or it comes in a spray can is the lube you want to use. :hide:

puddlejumper

1st I would say the above Info is right on the money, But I do have a 12 horse kohler with the tab broke from the compression release. This tractor is used almost daily and starts instantly. But when I first got it, it acted as you describe I finally replaced the old starter with a new one after trying to clean and refurbish the old one. It has been 4yrs with no more issues but eventually I know this starter is going to weaken. Only difference is mine would either make the partial turn it took to start it or you would have to pull the plug to get past that compression stroke because it would lock up solid.

can whlvr

thanks steve,i knew someone would give the proper name,i was too lazy too run out to the shop to look :hide:

jnelkie

Thanks to all for all the info, I took the starter apart and it has a cracked magnet and a bad bushing in it, I have local small engine repair guy seeing if he has any starters to replace it with and if not he said you can buy replacments I just don't know how much yet. I only paid $50 for the tractor so I don't mind putting in a little more money, it just needs a little tlc.

jnelkie

After looking for a replacment bushing at several part stores I was unable to buy a exact replacment bushing but I did find a 3/4od /1/2id brass bushing that I sanded down and then cut to fit the starter shaft. I put super glue on all the cracks on the magnets and then put it back together and on the tractor and all is good now. There is no hesitation when starting at all, the only thing left to do now is figure out how to rebuild the electric pto, it only partualy engages.

stevasaurus

Very cool on the starter. :hide: Sorry, I know nothing about those clutches...if no one steps up here on that, start another thread. :WRS: