Sign in to follow this  
can whlvr

carb rebuild

can whlvr

so i bought a new carb that supposesedly fits 10-16k or magnum,im going to put it on one of them and rebuild the carb that comes off,then take the new off and put it on the next to be done,then im not in a hurry,so any body tell me about the shrottle shaft kits,the bushing kit thet you drill and put in the bushings,id like to do one so i can do all the carbs,every kohler i have has a worn throttle shaft and i read the miller site,wish i could afford them too do it but for 4 carbs that will be $ i dont have right now,any input would be appreciated

rmaynard

Don,

I rebuilt my Kohler K241S carburetor (#26 Carter) and used a bushing kit that I bought on eBay for $5.99 (US) + shipping. It included the bushing and 2 throttle plate screws.

There was nothing to drill out. The bushing has an outside diameter of 7/16" and the recessed area where it goes is 7/16". The bushing is 1/8" thick, and the depth of the recess is 1/8". So it's a perfect fit. You just need to be careful tapping the bushing in so it goes in straight.

The hardest part of the job was removing the tiny screws that hold the throttle plate to the shaft. At the factory, the ends of the screws are peened slightly so they don't come loose and get sucked into the engine. So when taking them out, if you try to do it too quickly, they will snap. They are brass. I turn them out about 1/8 turn, then back in, then back out a little more, then back in, and so on until they come all they way out. If you do happen to break one, and any of the screw is still sticking out, file it down so you can pull the shaft out. Then it is easy to drill out the remaining brass. Running a new screw in from the opposite side will generally clear the threads if the old one doesn't fall right out.

The only time that any drilling or machining would have to be done to the carburetor itself, is if the bottom hole is very worn. Then it is generally better to let a machine shop handle it.

shorts

use a dremel tool to clean up the upset threaded end of the throttle shaft screws before you try to remove them, then work them back and forth untill they turn freely. install the new screws with red locktite and upset the threads for good luck. make sure that the throttle plate is centered in the carb body before you tighten the screws.

completely disassemble the carb, soak it in cleaner and blow it out with compressed air, then blow thru all of the internal passages with aerosol carb cleaner as a final cleanout and check before reassembly.

I like to replace the float while the carb is apart, also inspect the floatbowl for corrosion damage and distortion-the alcohol in the new fuels is corrosive to the unanodized aluminum and also attracts water that can/will crush the float and distort the fuel bowl if allowed to freeze.

make sure to set the float height and drop before you close the carb up. use a new carb gasket on the engine,put some oil on the carb side to minimize the gasket sticking to the carb.

Butch

:thumbs: :wh: :D

can whlvr

thanks guys,i think i will buy the 5 pack of kits and get rebuild kits also,i hope it works because 140 bucks a carb is too much when you need 4 carbs