Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Carb kit needed

Butch

I have a Kohler carb on my C-85 that has adjustable jets. Based on the looks compared to Walbro it is a Kohler.

Where can I find a rebuilt cheap OR what part number rebuild kit do I need for the carb. All I can find on Ebay is rebuild kits for Walbros.

What about the air filter number?

Thanks.

Keeping these things running is getting very frustrating. :thumbs: :wh:

Butch

Discovered fuel in the float. Not the float bowl but the float itself. Would that be the culprit of flooding or hard starting? It wasn't just a little bit either.

Polished my needles up with never dull!! Cleaned them also. Still looking for a kit AND a float!!

Anglo Traction

Leaky float is most likely the cause of flooding etc. If you can find the leak, it can be repaired with a soldering iron. Hold the float and let the warmth of your hand expand the fuel inside and watch to see where it comes out (usually on a seam/joint). You can continue to cool it, then warm it to get all the fuel out, then solder it.

As for repair kits, if you know what carb you have, then check out/do a search for mowers4u they may have what you need.... Best I can offer you being 3000 miles away.

Is your engine a K181 ?.

Butch

Leaky float is most likely the cause of flooding etc. If you can find the leak, it can be repaired with a soldering iron. Hold the float and let the warmth of your hand expand the fuel inside and watch to see where it comes out (usually on a seam/joint). You can continue to cool it, then warm it to get all the fuel out, then solder it.

As for repair kits, if you know what carb you have, then check out/do a search for mowers4u they may have what you need.... Best I can offer you being 3000 miles away.

Is your engine a K181 ?.

Yes it is a K181 and I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Anglo Traction

No Problem Butch.

Float repair Kit 25-757-03

Carb repair Kit 25-757-01

Should include all gaskets, but check it.

Butch

Rebuilt the carb. Main jet/high speed was turned in and back out 2 full turns. Low ide turned in and back out 1 1/4 turns. It started and then died after about 5 minutes. Trying to restart and gas was pooring out of air cleaner it looked like. Still no start. Choke does nothing. Am I over looking something?

Thanks.

stevasaurus

Did you fix or replace the float? If so...check the float adjustment...both up and down...and make sure that the needle valve is free. The valve shuts off the gas when the float reaches it's proper height. If the valve is sticking...even a little...that is your problem. Should be triangular in shape, looking at the end. Rub the high part on some emery cloth until the valve does not stick any more. Should not take much sanding. :hide:

Let me clarify the sanding thing...I mean the 3 or 4 long edges of the valve...and just to clean a little off...do not sand the tip. Hope that clears that up. :WRS:

Butch

I replaced the float. It seemed to operate smoothly. I also replaced that needle and the seat it goes in. Thanks

stevasaurus

so did you get it fixed Butch???

Butch

so did you get it fixed Butch???

Nope. I took the carb apart again and redid everything. Emeried parts down for a smooth fit and no luck. She starts up and then stops. The choke doesn't help at all. Moving the throttle only kills the engine also. I may just take both tractors to a dealer and have them work on them. This is really frustrating and now is when I need to use them.

puddlejumper

Check the atmospheric vent. If its clogged it will do that. Not sure where its at on your carb. But there should be a hole somewhere at the top of the float chamber. It will either vent to the outside or somewhere into the throat of the carb. And as stevwe said your float may be adjusted to high. It should set level with carb when turned upside down and actually in my experience a tad shy is better than a tad over.

Butch

I cut off the float height adjuster, since the old one didn't have one, and reassembled everything. She fired right up and ran fine. Go figure. :hide: :WRS: