Sign in to follow this  
ohiojo

need a engine

ohiojo

HI,

can someone tell me where i can buy a reasonably priced replacement eng. for my 70s. horse troy built tiller.Has a tec.HH60 6 hp. original eng.Threw a rod on it.would like something that bolts right on it if thats possible. 6 to 8 hp.New or a very good condition used one.

qd-16

I re-powered a tiller a few months ago with one of the Harbor Freight 6.5 hp motors for a $100 bucks....works great! Though this would not be a direct replacement for your troybuilt, it might be something to consider :thumbs:

Butch

I would see what I need at Northern Tool in the way of engines and then shop around on the internet. I have a chipper shredder that came with a 5 hp and ended up putting on a 8 or 9 hp engine relatively cheap from mail order. Maybe it was Jacks small engines. I really don't remember. Shop around though and Northern tool is where I started from.

I think my Trot Bilt is a Briggs and Stratton but mine is an original Troy-Bilt from Troy, NY.

Toejam

I took one from an areins tiller and it works fine. Had to paint it red though...I have a 70's Troy Built Horse with the 6 horse Techy. Hope this helps.

:thumbs:

Just for kicks...here is a picture..you can still see the white ID tag on the front.

troybuilt.jpg

pfrederi

:thumbs: OK my horse my father picked up my horse in Troy , NY and is a Tecumseh HH60. Troybilt used Clintons, Tecumsehs, Kohlers and B&S over the years...

Butch

It's nice to see the old ones still around.

ohiojo

I took one from an areins tiller and it works fine. Had to paint it red though...I have a 70's Troy Built Horse with the 6 horse Techy. Hope this helps.

:wh:

Just for kicks...here is a picture..you can still see the white ID tag on the front.

troybuilt.jpg

yeh taylor, Mine look the same.thanks for info. Ill check it out.:::Jo :thumbs:

Kelly

last year we put a 8 hp Kohler on my neighbors tiller just like that one, it was a bolt on, just need a pull start engine with a mag. ign.

VinsRJ

I would second the HF 6.5hp..... I have had great luck with these motors.

shorts

go to j.thomas online, they are in the detroit area and specialize in commercial lawncare parts, you will need to match up the crankshaft size so the pulleys fit, the bolt patterns on the back of the engine are a standard pattern. IIRC the crank needs to be 1"dia. 2 3/8 long with a 3/16 keywar and 3/8x16 bolt hole.

Don1977

Troybilt tillers need a 3/4" dia. crank shaft and the close bolt pattern on the block like a 4 HP k-91 Kohler.

I put a 1" shaft 10 HP Briggs on my neighbors by resize the pulley. Bolting a 5/16" plate to the engine with pan head socket bolts, drilling and tapping it for the close pattern. Bolted it together with blue Locktite.

tunahead72

Horses of that era also came from the factory with a Kohler K161 (7 HP), probably a direct bolt-on but I can't tell you that for sure.

Also can't tell you where to find one, sorry, just another option.

I have one equipped with that engine, and to this day, almost 30 years after I bought it, if it has fresh gas and a good plug, it'll start ON THE FIRST PULL! :thumbs:

416/520

If you decide a Harbor Freight might be an option,know that right now they are selling for 75 bucks. Go online and print out a '20% off any single item' coupon, and that brings it to 60 bucks.

You could also ask at the store for extended service protection for 20 bucks or so..

HF is going to replace these engines with another brand,so out they go at very low prices.