Sign in to follow this  
tec9

New member!...old 702!....big problem?

tec9

Hey all- new to this group!

I've been a very proud owner of a Wheel Horse 702 Tractor! My grandfather bought it new in 1962, and it has been in the family since. I've had it for the last 20 years or so, and with just a little work here and there, she has been running strong! She has been used just about every season, and is a testament to the phrase "They don't make em like they used to!" Well today I ran into a problem....I was using my 702 to mow the lawn, and noticed that one of the two blades wasn't turning. (forgive me if I have the worng terminology) I popped off the spindle cover? (cover held on with 4 screws, labeled "keep well greased") I removed the right side, as this is the side that the blade wasn't spinning. (left side works fine) When I removed the cover, I saw that the large threaded rod that runs width of the tractor was broken. This rod is on the mower deck, spun by a belt and pulley, and it has a large gear on each side to turn the blade spindles. The rod is broken on the end, and the gear was just laying there...Anyways is this a part I will be able to locate? I can't find any info on the 702...I have a copied manual, but it doesn't mention anything about the mower deck. So here is my questions:

What is this part called? (the rod that is broken) any part numbers?

What mower deck fits the 702, incase I need to buy a whole mower deck to replace it?

Thanks for any input!

-Mark

WH nut

Im sure you can find the shaft New. I need to look to see if the 32 and the 36 inch deck is different. I have a 36 in deck for parts i may be able to get the shaft out

whfan74

Do you have a 32" or 36"????? I do have some of those shafts that are NOS, will have to double check to see what length I have. Let me know when you get a chance and maybe we can work something out.

And by the way............ :thumbs:

You will now be officially hooked!

VinsRJ

:wh:

You're in good hands :thumbs:

n1defan

:thumbs:

WH nut

If you have a 36 inch deck it looks like the part number is 3715, And its called the cross shaft

JimD

Here's a list of decks that will fit the 702.

32"

RM323

RM324

RM326

RM327

RM-2321

5-2321

36"

RM364

RM366

RM367

RM3662

5-2361

Shuboxlover

If Scott doesn't have the one you need, I have a good used one for a 36". (but only if Scott doesn't have it :thumbs: )

c175inMA

MikesRJ

These guys will get you back in business in short order.

Horse'n Around

Howdy Marc :thumbs: By the looks of it I dont think that going to have any trouble getting it all back in shape.

tec9

Wow! Thanks for all the input guys! I will take a look at the tractor tonight, and measure the deck. Hopefully I can get her back in business!

Thanks again guys!

Mark

corn53

tec9

Once again, thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the info so far. I got a chance to take some measurements of the mower deck, and here is what I found:

I have two 16" blades, so I assume that I have a 32" cutting deck

The rod that is broken is about 15" in length, and is threaded on the ends. If anyone has one of these, or any advice on replacing it, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks Again!!

Mark

whfan74

Mark,

Sent you a pm back. Will double check tomorrow on the cross shaft for you. I know I have three of them, just want to make sure we have the right size for you. Hang around here for a while, many people willing to pitch in and help you out with whatever you need.

Daddy Don

can whlvr

JC 1965

:wh: Hello and :thumbs:

tec9

Just an update on this.....

I was able to purchase a good used deck for my 702, from Charlesd250 (a member here) About an hour and a half drive from me, but the new deck is now installed, and it looks like I'm back in business!

-Mark

stevasaurus

Mark... :WRS: Are you still going to fix the old deck? sounds like it is worth it. :hide: Anyone with a 702 is more then welcome here. :)