Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Resetting governor on C175 Auto

Butch

I read an older post by TT that is closed and I also read some other posts from other forums. I guess without pics or drawings I'm lost. I have the KOHLER manual but that didn't help me either.

Has anyone done this on their C175?

Thanks.

Giles

I don't have specific adjustment information for the 17hp Kohler. I have an 18 hp. and recently adjusted the govenor by referring to the M18 & M20 Kohler Service Manual. I am sorry but I don't know how to direct you to this service manual. It is a pdf. document that I am sure you can find by serching for Kohler M18 & M20 service manual pdf. My adjustment was made exactly as the procedure given here http://cubfaq.com/govadjust.html.

I think this will work for you.

Butch

Giles that didn't help me. Sorry.

Maybe this will help somebody help me!!

This is my throttle linkage. Cable on the right is the throtlle. One on the left is the choke. Now which bolt/screw/nut do I need to loosen and which arm do I need to turn?

Thanks in advance!

C175throttlelinkage008.jpg

JimD

Butch, follow the spring from the lever the cable is attached to, up to where it attaches to the governor arm. There is a vertical (sorta) bolt that clamps the arm to the shaft coming through it. Loosen the bolt so the arm will rotate on the shaft, make your adjustment, then tighten the bolt. That's the best I can do. I have never adjusted one on a 17 hp engine.

Butch

Butch, follow the spring from the lever the cable is attached to, up to where it attaches to the governor arm. There is a vertical (sorta) bolt that clamps the arm to the shaft coming through it. Loosen the bolt so the arm will rotate on the shaft, make your adjustment, then tighten the bolt. That's the best I can do. I have never adjusted one on a 17 hp engine.

Jim D thanks. I'll give it a try. The governor arm is the one at the top of the page I would assume!!

JimD

Just above the carb. :thumbs:

Butch

Thanks!! :thumbs:

Butch

Gary I have the manual and yes it is generic. I believe it's the horizontal nut/bolt that I should be adjusti ng with which is also shown in the generic photo. I think that's what holds the governor cross shaft in place but ain't having no luck. Once I throttle up, it stays up and doesn't come back to idle. It even idles kinda high after the adjustment. It does seem like it is the governor cross shaft the dictates the engine speed.

But I'll keep playing with it.

Thanks.